• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile 3g 1GB Data Monthly Cap

i'd relax about that for now. t-mobile is just testing their network's capability at this point, and you can rest assured the cap will likely be raised after the new year once they have enough feedback on the network's performance.

also realize that it's damn difficult to download THAT MUCH in a month. i'm a religious blackberry user, and considering the majority of my business emails have large files attached, i have never broken 600MB in a month. and i do just about everything with my phone as i'll do anything to avoid traveling with my laptop.

especially with them preventing music deownloads over 3g and tethering, data use is not going to be very high per person.

it's just t-mobile being vigilant to prevent network overload. combined with their sales strategy to limit sales to 3g locations only, they're very focused on providing the best possible customer experience during the official launch of their new network... which is better than people loudly bitching about service when they live outside a 3g location, or getting poor service due to network overload, a la the iphone 3g.

Upvote 0
i'd relax about that for now. t-mobile is just testing their network's capability at this point, and you can rest assured the cap will likely be raised after the new year once they have enough feedback on the network's performance.

also realize that it's damn difficult to download THAT MUCH in a month. i'm a religious blackberry user, and considering the majority of my business emails have large files attached, i have never broken 600MB in a month. and i do just about everything with my phone as i'll do anything to avoid traveling with my laptop.

I'm not sure that comparing the Blackberry to the Android is a fair comparison in this case. The Android is being positioned as a mobile Internet device. Music from Amazon, Video from Youtube, Live street view images, Constant communications. The ~33mb/day average does not sound like all that much for this type of device.

Upvote 0
Given that we don't yet have the G1 in our hands, we can only speculate on what effect the 1GB barrier will have. I do know that having it out there casts enough doubt in my mind that I will put off any purchase decision for now. Instead, I will wait for at least a few months and see what other options I have, Sprint's WiMax looks promising assuming they ever get it into service.

Upvote 0
[Put on Tin Foil Hat]

I wonder if the 1 GB draconian limit (compared to the limit on iPhones) is in part a statement from T-Mobile about the robustness of the 3G network they are building. If they know their 3G network was rushed to market and is not really ready.....

[/Take off Tin Foil Hat]

Upvote 0

especially with them preventing music deownloads over 3g and tethering, data use is not going to be very high per person.

it's just t-mobile being vigilant to prevent network overload. combined with their sales strategy to limit sales to 3g locations only, they're very focused on providing the best possible customer experience during the official launch of their new network... which is better than people loudly bitching about service when they live outside a 3g location, or getting poor service due to network overload, a la the iphone 3g.

Agreed

Plus they re worded the orig 1gb cap.

Say Cheese Pinky

Upvote 0
http://gizmodo.com/5054473/t+mobile-removes-1gb-3g-data-cap-for-g1-android-phone

"T-Mobile's just rolled back on their 1GB usage cap on their 3G plans for upcoming G1 Android customers, instead going to a hold-up-while-we-figure-this-out route. The statement they give now states that they can reduce throughput for "a small fraction" of users who are using too much data, but exact terms and limits are still being reviewed before they're finalized. Statement after the jump."

Upvote 0
http://gizmodo.com/5054473/t+mobile-removes-1gb-3g-data-cap-for-g1-android-phone

"T-Mobile's just rolled back on their 1GB usage cap on their 3G plans for upcoming G1 Android customers, instead going to a hold-up-while-we-figure-this-out route. The statement they give now states that they can reduce throughput for "a small fraction" of users who are using too much data, but exact terms and limits are still being reviewed before they're finalized. Statement after the jump."

Well that could be fun... How about they limit the bandwidth of just the top 5% each month. Then it would become a competition among hackers for the honor badge of being one of the few, the proud, the censured.

On a less sarcastic note, I'm happy to see T-Mobile listen to users on this one. I hope that is a sign of things to come with them and the Android platform.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones