1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support T-Mobile accessable?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FoamyTheGirl, Nov 28, 2011.

1. FoamyTheGirl

FoamyTheGirl Lurker
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    My family has T-Mobile and my phone current phone is dying on me. I really want the Xperia Play but I know it isn't through my provider. I realize that I'll have to get an unlocked phone. Here's my list of questions:

1. Anyone here using an unlocked phone? What are the pros and cons.
    2. Anyone here using the xperia on T-mobile? Any noticible differences in usability?
    3. What are my best options for purchasing an unlocked phone? Pre-unlocked, AT&T version, calling AT&t and getting it unlocked, unlocking code, etc.

I've really resisted the touch-screen revolution and I figure if I have to give in I should get the phone I want. ANY tips or advice is greatly appreciated, including basic Android info.

Thanks Again.

Advertisement

2. AFunnyCow

AFunnyCow Newbie
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    I don't have T-mobile or an unlocked phone so I can't answer all your questions with 100% certainty, but I'll give it a shot.

1)Besides the general pros of an unlocked phone (e.g. no contract) with the Xperia Play you will get faster updates and no bloatware. This could lead to better battery life. The only cons I can think of, besides price, are that you may not get some of the preloaded games. There are a few people on this board using an unlocked phone so I think they can help you better.

2)Can't answer that. I'm guessing there are probably few differences with using the phone outside of general service quality differences.

3)Probably purchasing it preunlocked. I sort of doubt AT&T will unlock the phone for you. When you look for prices, keep in mind AT&T sells it for $399.99 no commitment.

3. AnnaD

AnnaD Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2011
    If you buy an Xperia Play and use it on TMobile you will not have 3G speeds, the best you can do is 2G internet. I switched off mobile internet on mine and am just using WIFI to surf the internet. It is a great phone though, you'll love using it, big bright screen, and all the games you could ever want.

Also, you should keep an eye on Craigslist, now that the ATT phones have been out for a while. I got a Verizon one, they show up for about $150, and am using it on Page Plus ($10 per month, but I don't make many phone calls on it)

Anna