• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile announces JUMP! upgrade plan

Atma

Extreme Android User
Dec 26, 2011
North Carolina
An Easy "JUMP" to Phone Upgrades
JUMP! from T-Mobile is designed to provide customers with total protection for one of their prized possessions: their smartphones. It offers the freedom to upgrade to a new device more affordably and protects against malfunction, damage, loss or theft - all for just $10 per month, per phone (plus taxes and fees). That's just $2 more than most customers have been paying for handset protection alone.

Beginning Sunday, July 14, customers can choose to upgrade when they want, not when they're told with JUMP! Here's how it works: Customers can upgrade to a new phone, financed through T-Mobile's Equipment Installment Program (EIP), twice every 12 months after they've been in the JUMP! program for six months. Simply trade in an eligible T-Mobile phone in good working condition at a participating store location. Any remaining EIP payments will be eliminated, and current customers can purchase new phones for the same upfront pricing as new customers, with device financing and Simple Choice Plan, a no-annual-service contract. With JUMP!, current customers never pay more for their new phones than new customers. -- T-Mobile Press Release --

I'm paying $11.99 a month for complete handset protection. So I can get the same thing plus the upgrade for $10 a month?

I don't see that T-Mobile is doing any favors for its customers with the Jump plan.

Let's say you buy a Galaxy SIII at $500 which costs $20 down and $20 per month for 24 months. After a year you decide you want a Galaxy S4 at $579, which costs $100 down and $20 per month for 24 months. Under Jump you trade in your SIII and owe nothing more on it. But you've already paid a total of $260 for the SIII. Under Jump you get no credit at all for the $260 you've already paid and are still required to pay full price for the S4.

Why is this a good deal for T-Mobile customers?

Upvote 0
I don't see that T-Mobile is doing any favors for its customers with the Jump plan.

Let's say you buy a Galaxy SIII at $500 which costs $20 down and $20 per month for 24 months. After a year you decide you want a Galaxy S4 at $579, which costs $100 down and $20 per month for 24 months. Under Jump you trade in your SIII and owe nothing more on it. But you've already paid a total of $260 for the SIII. Under Jump you get no credit at all for the $260 you've already paid and are still required to pay full price for the S4.

You've already paid $260 but you still have $240 left to pay so you give them the phone don't pay 240 then just start paying on the new phone

Upvote 0

Becuase they wave the remaining 240 you owe on your GS3.

Upvote 0
A better analogy would be that it's like leasing a car. You turn in the car you were driving for the the new car and you're not responsible for the remaining residual on your automobile left unpaid.
So in essence its like renting the phone.

I dont know about anyone else but I really dont think this is a good deal for the customer, it is for the them, they can resell your phone for more then the remainder owed.

Reactions: Nodzarf
Upvote 0
So in essence its like renting the phone.

I dont know about anyone else but I really dont think this is a good deal for the customer, it is for the them, they can resell your phone for more then the remainder owed.

More or less. It's great for people who have trouble staying happy with a device for longer than 6 months. AndroidPolice had an article where they ran some rough numbers and it actually comes out pretty decent if you frequently upgrade.

Upvote 0
Is this replacing the existing PHP that costs $11.99 a month, or is this in addition to the PHP that costs $11.99 per month?

Everything I've seen has show it to be replacing it.

I'm not sure. If you look at the PHP chart, I think they are talking about the PHP Insurance, not the PHP bundle that also covers malfunction. Unless they aren't taking into account a premier device. I'm not sure why you would upgrade every 6 months to a non-premier device. It confuses me right now.

Upvote 0
I think this is great. Not for me and my wife since we like the Nexus phones once a year, but for anyone that doesn't care about having a Nexus this is great, especially if you are paying insurance anyways. Plus, with the $10 extra a month and the monthly phone payments (the $15-20 toward the price of the phone) and unlimited 4G LTE data plan it is still cheaper than AT&T or Verizon for their very small data plans.

Think I'm going to get my daughter on this plan next week since we already pay for insurance for her phone. (Galaxy S3)

Upvote 0
I think this is great. Not for me and my wife since we like the Nexus phones once a year, but for anyone that doesn't care about having a Nexus this is great, especially if you are paying insurance anyways. Plus, with the $10 extra a month and the monthly phone payments (the $15-20 toward the price of the phone) and unlimited 4G LTE data plan it is still cheaper than AT&T or Verizon for their very small data plans.

Think I'm going to get my daughter on this plan next week since we already pay for insurance for her phone. (Galaxy S3)

I agree 100%. It doesn't work for me because I prefer the nexus line and the 30 dollar plan. But it's great for the general public.

Upvote 0
I agree 100%. It doesn't work for me because I prefer the nexus line and the 30 dollar plan. But it's great for the general public.

Apparently, T-Mo has a plan going on right now that's unlimited everything + insurance for $81.99. With my 20% corp discount, I end up making out like a bandit. It's approx $68-70 after taxes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones