1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

T-mobile bootloader

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by sniper8752, Nov 5, 2014.

1. sniper8752

sniper8752 Well-Known Member

Do T-mobile Android phones have locked bootloaders? What about the new Nexus phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mojosodope

mojosodope Android Enthusiast

On the note 4 it is not. I'm not sure about the nexus 5 but from what I read on other sections no one from tmo has a problem

3. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

All nexus devices have an unlockable bootloader and are rootable. Even if they are purchased from T-Mobile, Sprint, etc... Google makes the device and then sells it to the carrier and that's why they are not carrier branded and bloated.
    Nexus devices don't receive updates from the carrier themselves, the updates are pushed straight out and are updated by Google. That's one of the main benefits of owning a Nexus device, its a developer phone and is actually one of, if not the easiest devices to unlock the bootloader on, root and plus these devices have a very large development community. Google makes the Nexus devices and then sells them to the carriers... That's typically why when you purchase one from a carrier it will cost you more (like $100 more) than what what you can order it from the playstore. Plus Google doesn't discourage or void warranties for Nexus devices with unlocked bootloaders or for being rooted.

4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Those devices usually do not have wifi calling, either. Neither does the iphone.

To some users, the wifi calling is a big deal since it will work over the TMO network via wifi if you have no other signal.

I don't think it can be added after the fact. The phone needs to be branded.
    It will work on an unlocked branded.

Or you can use Google Voice if wifi and reception are an issue.

I've had nothing but unlocked phones over the last years. Those on TMO fora keep telling me I'm missing the best part by not having wifi calling.

5. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast

If you have a non carrier branded device like the Nexus 5 for example. You can use the Hangouts app with the Hangouts dialer app and have WiFi calling. The downside is that the other person that your calling with the Hangouts dialer app is that they have to also be using the Hangouts app as well I believe. ( haven't tried calling anyone who wasn't using the Hangouts dialer app yet.
    The Hangouts dialer app works very well. You can call, text and video call through WiFi.
    If you decide to try them out, first you have to install the Hangouts app and once that's installed, you then install the Hangouts Dialer app.

You can check them out here - Hangouts app -https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.talk

Hangouts dialer app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.hangoutsdialer