• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile cancel service?

sx4dude2013

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2010
Georgia
I am trying to purchase a new T-mobile Galaxy Note II from T-mobile.
I have 2 options from what I can understand....

- A new device off contract comes out to $697.14 shipped to my home address.
OR
- Get a tmobile plan and device for $369.99 with a 2 year contract.
Cancel the contract after 14 days of service. Pay a $200 flat rate fee. That brings my total to $569.99. Saving me around $130 versus buying outright....

What do yall think. Any issues with this????

ALSO!!! If i am a customer for 14 days does this SIM UNLOCK apply??

For information on the SIM Unlock Code, refer to the following:

If you purchased a device from T-Mobile, it has been programmed with a SIM lock which will prevent the phone from operating with other compatible wireless telephone carrier’s services. If you wish to use the phone with the service of another wireless telephone carrier, you must enter a numeric SIM Unlock Code to unlock the phone.
If you have a Postpaid Plan, T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible customers, provided the requesting customer has a minimum of 40 days of active service with T-Mobile and did not request a Subsidy unlock code in the last 90 days.
For customers with a Prepaid Plan, T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible customers, provided the requesting customer has a minimum of 60 days of active service with T-Mobile and either a Prepaid Plan account balance of at least $10.00 or a prior refill within the last 30 days.
T-Mobile will provide the SIM Unlock Code upon request to eligible former customers, provided that T-Mobile has such code or can obtain it from the manufacturer.
If you paid full retail price for a device, you qualify to have the SIM subsidy unlock code providedif you meet the following requirements:
The device must have been purchased at a T-Mobile retail store or authorized T-Mobile retailer.
The device must be paid for completely. You must be able to fax the proof of purchase to T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
I am trying to purchase a new T-mobile Galaxy Note II from T-mobile.
I have 2 options from what I can understand....

- A new device off contract comes out to $697.14 shipped to my home address.
OR
- Get a tmobile plan and device for $369.99 with a 2 year contract.
Cancel the contract after 14 days of service. Pay a $200 flat rate fee. That brings my total to $569.99. Saving me around $130 versus buying outright....

What do yall think. Any issues with this????

If you cancel within 14 days, you are required to return the phone. Also $369.99 is after $50 rebate so you won't get that either.

Upvote 0
So if I wait til the 40 day mark I will be able to get the rebate and get the unlock code then cancel my service?

Since I'm bored at work I'll help you out and do the "legwork" for you.
$419 Note II + $35 activation + $200 cancellation fee + ~$65 plan (cheapest one+taxes for 1 month)=$719 before any TAX. Is that cheaper than $649 + tax for an unsubsidized Note II?:rolleyes: There is a $50 rebate, but you need to have the service running until they process the rebate which can take up to 8 weeks per rebate form. Also depending on whether you cancel your existing plan or not can save you the extra cost. Now I'll let you do the rest of the calculation.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Since I'm bored at work I'll help you out and do the "legwork" for you.
$419 Note II + $35 activation + $200 cancellation fee + ~$65 plan (cheapest one+taxes for 1 month)=$719 before any TAX. Is that cheaper than $649 + tax for an unsubsidized Note II?:rolleyes: There is a $50 rebate, but you need to have the service running until they process the rebate which can take up to 8 weeks per rebate form. Also depending on whether you cancel your existing plan or not can save you the extra cost. Now I'll let you do the rest of the calculation.:rolleyes:

I get the activation fee waved and I get 15% off my bill because of where I work. My bill will come out to $59.50 each month. It will save me about $50. And the rebate takes 4-5 weeks.

Upvote 0
I get the activation fee waved and I get 15% off my bill because of where I work. My bill will come out to $59.50 each month. It will save me about $50. And the rebate takes 4-5 weeks.

1. T-mo will most likely make you get a higher plan to get the rebate (did that with my HOS, but I got to change it down after I got my rebate)
2. The rebate takes 6-8 weeks to process, then you have to go online and fill out another form for them to send it to you, which takes another 2-4 weeks.

It won't work man. It just won't. Just think. they're a big company with a lot of finance people who did the calculations in their sleep. you can't come out ahead. period

Upvote 0
Why is this a scam if he pays all the fees?

He's entering into a contract in bad faith. I guess it depends on what "scam" means to you. I don't think they'd go after him legally or anything. But it seems pretty crappy.

Imagine if everyone bought their phones that way, then think about if it seems scammy.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
1. T-mo will most likely make you get a higher plan to get the rebate (did that with my HOS, but I got to change it down after I got my rebate)
2. The rebate takes 6-8 weeks to process, then you have to go online and fill out another form for them to send it to you, which takes another 2-4 weeks.

It won't work man. It just won't. Just think. they're a big company with a lot of finance people who did the calculations in their sleep. you can't come out ahead. period

I will let yall know...
I spoke to a rep today and I was assured that if T-Mobile doesn't work for me I can cancel for $200. I'm also eligible for the unlock code after 30 days of service. There should be no issues from what I'm told.

Upvote 0
It is a lot of hassle. I pulled this to get where I'm at right now.

Got One S for free on contract. Sold one S and bought temp phone online. Payed $200 migration fee to get to value plan. bought Galaxy Nexus and sold temp phone.

In that time I also changed my data plan and added my wife to the value plan. I'm pretty sure it all worked out and I saved a lot of money, but it was a pain in the ass. I had my plan go through so many changes. It was crazy trying to keep track of it and make sure they were charging me right. Would I do it again? Probably, but it definitively isn't for everyone.

Upvote 0
It is a lot of hassle. I pulled this to get where I'm at right now.

Got One S for free on contract. Sold one S and bought temp phone online. Payed $200 migration fee to get to value plan. bought Galaxy Nexus and sold temp phone.

In that time I also changed my data plan and added my wife to the value plan. I'm pretty sure it all worked out and I saved a lot of money, but it was a pain in the ass. I had my plan go through so many changes. It was crazy trying to keep track of it and make sure they were charging me right. Would I do it again? Probably, but it definitively isn't for everyone.

At least your phone was free, but Note II ain't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones