• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile? G2-Hero? 3G issues? See here

twist123

Feb 17, 2010
Im starting this thread to help out people who are having 3G issues using T-mobile UK. Issues related are:

Gmail
Push Notifications
No 3G in 3G areas
Phone switches instantly to H
Android Market
etc.

See this thread for more info, register and join the rest of us in trying to get T-mobile to sort this mess out. Hoping the more of us that moan the faster they'll pull their finger out.

T-Mobile Discussions - Discussions - Todays the day...(network connectivity)

:cool:

If you look at thread in the official T-Mobile UK forum that is linked to you'll see that they are on to this now (at last). The issues (all related to an unstable 3G connection) I understand apart from this one:Why is this a problem? H is HSDPA - a faster version of 3G

Yes, I have been following the thread so I am aware they are 'working' on it, I am just dissapointed its taken them so long to reply. Leaving everyone wondering wether its their handset. Especially those that just purchased their phones.

Not saying its a problem, its just something I noticed the phone does when it tries to use 3G.

Upvote 0
I was having this proble mtoo... I phoned CS... got put through tech support and a guy called Gareth helped me. He said would talk to the forum mods about the issue, he spoke to his manager who raised it with the senior technical people... then he said I should keep him posted.

5 mins later he phoned me back (great CS !) and said 'I have an idea'...

He then (FOR FREE for a month as a trial) updated my account to WEB n WALK PLUS (I had standard

Upvote 0
I'm with t mobile I'm gettin slightly confused by this lol, at the moment all I seem to get is the G not seeing much of the H or 3G I'm gettin pages to load and emails and updates although they take a while,to load, is this the problem everyone's having or is this norm.

3G or H = Fast
G = Slow

Internet etc will work just as youre experiencing, slowly. If you used to get 3G where you use your phone and now dont in that same area, yes, this is the problem.

Upvote 0
I never seem to get full bars on my G2 even though my house is 1500m from a tower and at work it's only 500m from a tower!:thinking:
Internet speeds were ok till 2 weeks ago and now it's hit and miss when surfing sometimes it's ok sometimes not?

Never had any isues when making calls though.

Upvote 0
Called TM today and spoke to tech support, good guy to talk to took all the details about post codes where/when it happens and gave me a case no.
From what he said it sounds like the patch that was suposed to fix these problems 2 weeks ago has gone wrong big time,so all the people like me who didn't have a problem 2weeks ago now have!

It sounded like a network isue that they are not sure how to fix:(

Upvote 0
3G/HSDPA cells contract when there is more traffic on them, this could be why some people get a H then it drops to a 3G signal. You can also be too close to a tower.

Also trees and terrain can cause problems, if you are surrounded by tree and the are in leaf you can get decreased signal.

My experience of T Mobile CS is that they are the best of all the providers, I have a lot of experience of providers CS as I look after a 100 strong mobile fleet at work.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of getting the G2 Touch but I keep hearing about all these problems which are putting me off. The features look great but if there are basic problems like reception and 3G connection then obviously I won't get it.

I know the 2.1 update is due soon, but will that fix these problems or is it unrelated? Or is there a ROM update due soon that could fix the problems?

Upvote 0
I have a replacement G2 coming on Tuesday as I am now working through the process to get a different handset.

Mine will not transfer data at all if the 3G symbol is on the screen, when I know I am in a 3G area. However, my home itself is not in a 3G area and if the phone is left set to use 3G when available, it will not make or receive calls or send or receive texts unless I set it to 2G only.

T-Mobiles initial response was that I should go into the settings and change it to 2G only when I am in a 2G area and then back to 3G when I am in a 3G area. They steadfastly refused to accept it was a known issue even when pointed to their own staff in their own forums admitting it was an issue and they were trying to work on it.

Eventually emailed the MD (which was intercepted by the complaints department) who called me within a few hours and arranged a replacement handset. I know that this will show the same problems and the next stage is that they then send the new one off for repair. They'll find nothing technically wrong with it and other's experience in the forum is that a different choice of handset will then be offered.

Problems is....there's no other handset that they do that I will get for free that I actually want. Bugger of a situation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones