1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General T-Mobile G2 in Canada?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shaspefu, Oct 29, 2010.

1. shaspefu

shaspefu New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Hey all,

I'm interested in buying the T-Mobile G2, but being in Canada, the only 'official' way to get it, according to T-Mobile, is to cross the border and buy it in person.

Since making that kind of trip is a bit overkill my other option is to buy it on eBay, which T-Mobile says they won't support. I've read that after buying a phone from T-Mobile, however, you still have to activate the IMEI.

So my question is, how can I get this phone and use it in Canada? Is it enough to just be unlocked?

Advertisement

2. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    have any friends in the US? have one of them buy it for you, then mail it to you

3. shaspefu

shaspefu New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Unfortunately, I am friendless :(

4. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    how far are you from the US??? sometimes a few hour drive does a mind good.

5. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Cellular Provider- Customer Service
    Vancouver
    Not sure why you'd get the G2 for Canada as it will only run on Edge on any carrier in Canada... better off to buy the Desire Z through bell or a 3rd party when it's available on 850/1900 bands on Nov 3rd...

EDIT: My bad apparently the Tmobile G2 unlocked might work at full speeds on Mobilcity in Toronto.

6. funkadesi

funkadesi Active Member

Aug 31, 2010
    System Analyst
    Queens, NY
    the G2 WILL run on 3G/HSPA+ as long as teh carrier supports both 1700 AND 2100 MHz AWS Band...

7. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Cellular Provider- Customer Service
    Vancouver
    Yes but none of the big carriers (Rogers, Bell, Telus) in Canada run 1700/2100. All three run 850/1900.

The only two carriers in Canada I know of that use 1700/2100 are Wind Mobile and Mobilcity which is are smaller carriers only in populated cities (Mobilcity right now is only around Torono).

Tags: