• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help T-Mobile G2 Wifi Tethering POSSIBLE OR NOT?

Dasin

Nov 21, 2009
I have had the G1 and other Andrioid devices, I use the WIFI Tethering alot on the andrioid devices. Now this G2 come out and it seems to be a problem due to the root issue.

T-Mobile G2 from what i heard can only be rooted temp, once the phone turns off the phone automaticly unroots. There has to be a way to do WIFI Tethering, on the T-Mobile G2.

Or a perminate root solution because me and other G2 users need Wifi Tethering.

And dont say PDAnet ITS NOT WIFI TETHERING

On the forums for the G2 at XDA, t-mobile, and here there have been some discussions of an OTA update in the testing phase (a very, very few people have received it) that includes both WiFi calling, updated radio firmware, and .... FroYo's native USB/WiFi tethering. rumor has it this update will be official tomorrow, in unison with a leaked memo that the data throttling point will lowered from 10 GB to 5 GB (per month, after that is reached you are limited to 2G speeds rather than charged per MB). The FroYo update for the original MyTouch 3G includes the native USB tethering (the hardware doesn't support infrastructure mode so not wifi hotspot).

So all signs point to yes, you will be able to use the G2 as a wifi hotspot once the OTA is official. And you won't even need to root for it.

Upvote 0
that is not the full potential of the wifi tethering, thats the restriction of t-mobile the regular wifi teathering software for the android phones gave u full access, thats what we want when it comes to that not a half connection we want full and u being a user should know what that means

Upvote 0
T-Mobile has had a throttling point for well over a year. That's nothing new. They're just lowering it from 10 GB to 5 GB. According to the memo fewer than 1% of customers use that much. The technological implementation of it is completely disconnected with whether or not your are tethering. You have a device connected to their network, and once X Gb of data have been transferred from their network to your device, they throttle your speed.

I haven't seen any indication that the wifi hotspot in the update is not original Google implementation demoed at Google I/O before the release of FroYo earlier this year.

Last time I checked AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint charge something like $30 a month to add tethering and have a 5 GB cap with per-MB charges over that cap. T-Mobile doesn't gives you unlimited data but slows down your connection if you're hogging the traffic. No extra charge.

Upvote 0
Recent thread on the T-Mobile forum have indicated the 5 GB throttle point doesn't apply to android plans.

Dasin, I'm curious, do you think there's a difference between what you're looking for and the hotspot feature that was exposed in the OTA that went out to a few G2 owners last week? Last I read on XDA the native hotspot app has been installed the whole time but T-Mobile just took it out of the menu.

Upvote 0
Recent thread on the T-Mobile forum have indicated the 5 GB throttle point doesn't apply to android plans.

Dasin, I'm curious, do you think there's a difference between what you're looking for and the hotspot feature that was exposed in the OTA that went out to a few G2 owners last week? Last I read on XDA the native hotspot app has been installed the whole time but T-Mobile just took it out of the menu.

yes its there you must root and use custom rom to use this feature t-mo still has it locked...no update is planned to unlock it

Upvote 0
There is a tethering plan out there that T-Mobile wants you to have. I temp rooted my phone and have been using android wifi tether. Works like a charm. I just don't know if using the "native" wifi tethering ability triggers something at T-Mobile and they make you get the tethering plan. That's why I've been using the wifi app (unofficial) w/ root and I've used many GBs over the months without a problem.

Upvote 0
I spoke yesterday with Tmobile corporate store. I work in the mall and they usually level with me pretty well. His story was that as of right now he does not think tmo can monitor the tehtering very well. He apparently tethers mad style and way over the throttle cap. He does not use native tether as he has an older phone, but suspects that they can't differentiate the native tethering on the G2 YET.

His final advice. Tether at your own risk and check your online bill for overage charges. I am wifi tethering right now through the native menu option. Will update on any charges or plan changes although there was no warning or text message or anything from tmo yet.

Upvote 0

Generally there is a difference because with the T-Mobile wifi tethering there is going to be a charge bottom line theres a charge. The whole point in getting your phone a rooted is to get this for free generally. If u have a unlimite smart phone plan, use Visionary to root it and by the way HTC EVO 2.2 and the G2, most of all the Android devices work with Visionary.

Visionary for rooting your G1 and the Google Project to wifi tethering.

Yes it is free, and T-Mobile will not charge you, i have verified it and downloaded alot u will not get charged at all

If anyone want the download link for the new Visionary or the Wifi tethering i have them on megaupload. I have tried it and it does work and you will not get charged

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones