1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root T-Mobile Galaxy S 4G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LAchip64, Mar 19, 2011.

1. LAchip64

LAchip64 Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    I looked but didn't find what I was looking for, so forgive me if this is a double post. I have the new SGS 4G from T-Mobile. Firmware version 2.2.1, Baseband T959VUVKB5, Kernal 2.6.32.9, Build FROY.VUVKB5. I CANNOT find any program to help me root this phone. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Advertisement

2. LAchip64

LAchip64 Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    Oh yeah, I already tried Super One-Click as well as One Click Root. They both get hung up waiting for the device. Thanks again!

3. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I just got up the courage to root my GS4G. Downloaded what I needed.
    Forgot to reboot the computer after installing Samsung USB driver. Had the same problem you did.
    Rebooted computer, turned off NOD32(Avs think one file is a trojan) turned off Online Armor, Made sure debugging mode was on, and card was unmounted. It just flew after that.

Bought Titanium Backup and just froze the programs that kep t turning themselves on.
    I don't need the room on the phone to install apps, most of mine just went to the memory card. I just couldn't stand that darn Doubletwist. It was always turning on by itself. It's now frozen. And will stay that way. Next thing is to get the phone unlocked.

BTW - unlocked Nokia C6 had crap apps like FB, Twitter and some office app. BUT - you could get them off the main screen and totally out of the way and they never started unless you actually clicked on one. Had Android/Samsung/TM done that, I wouldn't have rooted the phone!

Z

statcomp likes this.
  4. shaahinjjj

shaahinjjj Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    listen to zuben el genub. Make sure you have the right drivers installed and you phone is on USB debugging.

5. statcomp

statcomp Newbie
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I am exactly doing the same thing to remove the "crap" But could you give me URL to download "Samsung USB" driver? I tried to google it in vain. Thanks

6. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Just download and install KIEs. It might be useless, but it saves you from having to figure out which driver to use.

7. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Did you reboot the computer after installing the Samsung driver? I hung up at looking for phone until I rebooted. It doesn't offer to reboot.
    You can download the driver from Samsung's site. They don't seem to have a specific one for the SGS4G. XDA has a couple of links, too. I used theirs, and was asked if I wanted to reinstall over the version I got from Samsung. Found this one: Samsung Galaxy S 4G USB Drivers & Kies Mini Software Download
    See if that helps.
    Zuben

statcomp likes this.
  8. statcomp

statcomp Newbie
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks a zillion, Zuben. Your posts were so helpful that I was following your post all over the forums. :) Holy. I was so scared to root but it took 1 minute to successfully do the device (excluding downloading time of USB driver & rebooting time)

BTW, how did you figure out what apps to delete? There are so many apps that I am overwhelmed to decide which ones to delete. Only thing I know from the forums is not to delete telenav.

Thanks

9. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I didn't delete any. I bought Titanium and froze them. They don't run and don't show up. I saw that as recommended. Run it with them frozen and then if nothing happens back them up and delete them. There are guides to make sure you can get them back if needed.

I froze most of the social apps - the tattletales like location, some of the wallpapers.
    Doubletwist, Inception, etc.

I am running most of my downloaded apps from the SD card, so I have quite a bit of the phone's memory. I want all my guide books, information sheets at hand when I'm out. Have the Audubon Bird Guide, will buy flowers and trees. I have also saved quite a few star charts as pdf, the same for geology of some of Utah's national parks. I will probably get a photography reference manual that I saw.
    Then I have everything at my fingertips without carrying a lot of stuff.

I might have to get a larger high speed card if this keeps up. I'm using the 2G

I got annoyed as Doubletwist kept turning itself on.

10. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Whatever you do, do not delete google talk. It's tempting, but if you do you won't be able to access Market anymore.

11. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Google talk wasn't one of the ones that was a pain. Gmail was. Only because I have 2 different computers and now the phone with it.(I changed sync preferences) I don't want all the messages on the phone. Stuff doesn't always appear in Gmail (thru Thunderbird) in Ubuntu. And I dislike leaving some stuff like a code to use a banking account on the regular Gmail page.

How good are the apps that move most of the stuff to an SD card? That might be an option for someone wanting room. Will TiB freeze them there?

Z

12. statcomp

statcomp Newbie
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys. I didn't delete or freeze any app yet but due to lack of internal memory, boy, it's tempting.

So my not-to-delete list contains now

TeleNav
    GMail
    GTalk

It seems that all apps related to system core functionality are not to be deleted. Difficult one is how to determine that for each app.

BTW, I thought this device has 1GB memory but according to task manager and other apps, it only has 512MB. Maybe the other half is used for system. Everything else such as wireless tethering, manual sync with outlook, playing Video/TV is working really great. Too bad SGS4G has so small memory.

13. statcomp

statcomp Newbie
    None

Mar 24, 2011