1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[T-Mobile] How to Disable Hard Power Off/ Force Shut Down

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kgmaistropitcher, Dec 10, 2013.

1. kgmaistropitcher

Just to clarify, I don't mean a factory reset - I mean what happens when you hold the power key in for 10+ seconds (with the same effect as taking out the battery).

I have had this problem for a little over a month now and have done extensive research as to what has caused it, and looked all through the internet for fixes (this is to let you all know that simple fixes are out of the question - I am posting a thread simply because I cannot find a thread that mirrors my problem or fixes it).

Here is my problem: The power button is too touchy. Just by shaking my phone, it will either turn off my screen, bring up the "Device Options" screen (from holding the power button 3-5 seconds), or Hard Power Off my phone. My first fix was to completely remove the power button, which worked fine for a week or so (and the phone can now survive in my pocket). However, it has gotten worse. The tiny white tab on the inside is so touchy, barely poking it with a screwdriver will activate whatever the power button does. It has gotten to the point that if I ever so slightly bang my phone, or even turn it, the phone will Hard Power Off. If I try to turn it on, the same thing will happen, and it will turn off again before the watery "samsung" screen appears with the blue LED.

I took it to a repair shop, who confirmed my suspicions that it is a hardware problem, but then told me they could not do anything about it since this tiny white button is on the motherboard of the phone.

My warranty with T-Mobile has expired, and I'd prefer to try everything before I replaced the phone. I do use an app to lock my phone so that the power button is completely useless to me (and now a complete nuisance). The phone is not rooted but I am willing to root it. Can anyone guide me through the steps I'd need to take to fix this problem?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

If you just want to prevent the power button from doing anything, I can suggest Gorilla Glue and a very small piece of paper match or other thin cardboard.

3. kgmaistropitcher

The fact that the power button stays "activated" is my problem. Touching it from any direction will cause the power button to push in an hold.
    I went in detail to explain that I have tried the easier answers. I'm a Mechanical Engineer so any sort of programming is the second to last thing I want to do (last thing is to pay money), so I need help with rooting, or at least knowing if rooting is an option.

4. awoolf

awoolf Newbie

Your problem is almost certainly a failing power switch. See these threads:

samsung galaxy s II won't turn on-vibrates | Support
    Blank Screen, Will not do anything except pulse... | Support
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-skyrocket/721101-fix-constant-reboot-vibrates-every-two-seconds.html
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g-touch/720544-galaxy-sii-sph-d710-power-button-issues.html

It's a VERY common problem on most Galaxy S2 & S3 models. Most common symptom is a switch that gets stuck completely, but some get extra sensitive before they fail completely. (My Sprint S2 did)

If you don't have insurance coverage and are out of warranty, you can replace the switch yourself. Several eBay sellers offer [​IMG]replacement power switches for the SGH-T999 Galaxy S3. (under ten bucks)

Or, if you don't have mad soldering skills, you can ship it out to get fixed. Several sellers offer mail-in repair service:

- $39 service & switch: Power Switch Repair Service T Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH T999 Samsung Fix Bad Button | eBay

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews