• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] I'm currently rooted on 4.4.3

I'm currently rooted on 4.4.3 and I keep getting the pop up urging me to rotate on my Moto X. If I update would that remove my root?

T-Mobile. But I purchased the phone unlocked.
I was in the same situation. Don't do it.

I had my T-Mobile unlocked Moto X rooted with the TeamWin recovery, and when I tried to accept the OTA update, it booted into recovery, and then I got a boot loop. Every time it tried to reboot to install the update, it got stuck in the TeamWin recovery. Then if I tried to boot from there to a normal boot, the phone would reboot itself and then go back into TeamWin recovery.

I had to download the entire factory image package (huge and from a slow server, so the download took hours) just to get the stock recovery back to flash using moto-fastboot.

If you want the OTA update, flash the stock recovery back first, and then accept the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones