• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile - Is it really as bad as they say?

puppykickr

Android Expert
Feb 1, 2019
USA
YES.
A most emphatic YES.
Check out my signal strength at home.
Really surprised that it even connected, usually it will not even do that.

It only works while I am at work, a place where I have no time to mess with a phone.

More than half way through the month, and have not even used 400MB of data.
Because I can hardly ever connect to the internet, even if I have 4-5 bars of service.

Maybe I should not be beating a dead horse, but I am all in favor of beating a dead carrier.

Screenshot_20211218-161219.png

YES.
A most emphatic YES.
Check out my signal strength at home.
Really surprised that it even connected, usually it will not even do that.

It only works while I am at work, a place where I have no time to mess with a phone.

More than half way through the month, and have not even used 400MB of data.
Because I can hardly ever connect to the internet, even if I have 4-5 bars of service.

Maybe I should not be beating a dead horse, but I am all in favor of beating a dead carrier.

View attachment 160516

Your pic made me look at my phone data usage for December so far. I have a 40GB data limit with China Unicom.

Screenshot_20211219-115206_Smart Manager.jpg

Upvote 0
Yep, T-Mobile is terrible everywhere...
View attachment 160520
I hate having 4 bars of 5G.

Listen, any carrier will have weak spots. Unfortunately T-Mo is weak where you live. You need to pick the best carrier for your location.

Well, aitting in the same place back in Spring, I had 4 bars of Sprint service that worked great.
Then T-Mobile bought Sprint, and for some stupid reason decided to turn off the Sprint towers and use their own.

What's more, is that T-Mobile is supposedly able to roam on AT&T towers- and I have an AT&T pre-pay that gets adequate signal in the same area- yet the device with the T-Mobile SIM is blind to that tower.

Upvote 0
Back in 2015 T-Mobile offered a deal so incredible that I was willing to give up our four grandfathered unlimited Verizon lines. After seeing our area blanketed in solid LTE magenta on their coverage map, I bought the phones & SIMs, and cut our lines over.

Immediately I had no signal on three of the devices; and barely enough on the fourth phone to call T-Mobile tech support. After going through Tier Two I was routed to the engineers, who looked at their tower placement and told me that, in my area, calls were possible outdoors; 3G would be "spotty at best" and don't even think about LTE.

It took me two hours, begging Verizon to reactivate our lines. While they were gracious enough to restore our grandfathered accounts, we lost all the active promotions applied... including one that had dropped our plan to just $9.99/line each month. For unlimited everything.

I immediately filed a complaint with the FTC about T-Mobile's deceptive coverage map and absolutely flamed them online. FTC never did a damn thing: and here we are, six years later, T-Mobile is now bragging about their 5G everywhere (that I doubt really exists in most places).

Here's a screenshot of their coverage map, current as of the date of this post - our area appears covered with LTE and 5G. If I bought a T-Mobile phone right now (and the lack of a T-Mobile store here is a good hint), I guarantee you that it will not connect. No data and extremely sparse cell service. How they get away with flat-out LYING to attract customers, year after year, is beyond me.

Screenshot_20211219-051947_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Upvote 0
Back in 2015 T-Mobile offered a deal so incredible that I was willing to give up our four grandfathered unlimited Verizon lines. After seeing our area blanketed in solid LTE magenta on their coverage map, I bought the phones & SIMs, and cut our lines over.

Immediately I had no signal on three of the devices; and barely enough on the fourth phone to call T-Mobile tech support. After going through Tier Two I was routed to the engineers, who looked at their tower placement and told me that, in my area, calls were possible outdoors; 3G would be "spotty at best" and don't even think about LTE.

It took me two hours, begging Verizon to reactivate our lines. While they were gracious enough to restore our grandfathered accounts, we lost all the active promotions applied... including one that had dropped our plan to just $9.99/line each month. For unlimited everything.

I immediately filed a complaint with the FTC about T-Mobile's deceptive coverage map and absolutely flamed them online. FTC never did a damn thing: and here we are, six years later, T-Mobile is now bragging about their 5G everywhere (that I doubt really exists in most places).

Here's a screenshot of their coverage map, current as of the date of this post - our area appears covered with LTE and 5G. If I bought a T-Mobile phone right now (and the lack of a T-Mobile store here is a good hint), I guarantee you that it will not connect. No data and extremely sparse cell service. How they get away with flat-out LYING to attract customers, year after year, is beyond me.

View attachment 160523

Actually amazed that they reactivated the accounts.
Normally anything grandfathered is long gone.

I had a six month contract with a local carrier that used AT&T towers.

Strong signal almost everywhere.

They got bought by AT&T, and AT&T was obligated to keep my deal going because it was a contract- even though it had expired years ago and I just kept paying the monthly bill.

Eventually, AT&T came out with their cheaper pre-pay and I did finally switch.
Went from $25 a month to $25 every three months.

The whole idea was that I didn't want to be tied to a contract, and I wanted to keep my old number- along with paying the same or less.

Luckily, I was able to do that and that is still the plan I have for an emergency phone.

Now the bitch of it is that AT&T is scheduled to kill off their 3G service, so I will need a SIM from them for a more modern device (the one with the useless T-Mobile SIM now) or yet another new device altogether.

AT&T stores here only have high priced phones, nothing cheap or even reasonable.

I am hoping that my Moto e is compatible.

Anyway, some folks are getting upgrade phones for free, but that seems to be pretty iffy in my case.
Some are getting some Samsung thing and some get something else.

If it works, I don't care.
But I have not been impressed with 4G, considering that my 3G has pulled my ol'lady's and my rumps out of the ringer a couple of times when there is no 4G signal for miles yet my little 3G Blackberry kbockoff works just fine.

Screw 5G!
For Christ's sake, no one has complete coverage with 4G yet!
There are still gaps in 3G, but not like these last two.

So glad these morons did not invent the wheel, or toilet paper.l

As for the FTC, they are as useful as taste buds on a butthole.

Flaming online is all that we have left (which will be destroyed by cancel culture) in an attempt to educate the masses that have been dumbed down by our schools and the powers that be.

The cellular companies exist to make money, not provide service.
They sell whatever people are stupid enough to buy.

It doesn't matter that they are already working on 6G when 5G is a horrible joke.
Some 'gotta have whatever is new' brainwashed robots will buy it whether it works or not.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
If you're in a big city you should be fine with TMO.. otherwise? Nope. I tried it.

This is how it was with Sprint over twenty years ago.
No exaggeration at all.
So using T-Mobile is like using Sprint used to be more than twenty years ago.

I feel that the CEO(s) of T-Mobile should be forced to use T-Mobile.

My guess is that they don't.

Upvote 0
Absolutely worthless!

Now I have a voice mail, that I cannot get to, because there is no service.

So I have this damn annoying notification for voice mail, and it just says 'call ended' and returns again when I tap it to get rid of it.

Of course, no way to block notifications from a worthless service, so even though I cannot get the voice mail, I cannot get rid of the damn notification!

T-Mobile
Terrorist Mobile

Even in airplane mode and on wi-fi only, the device will not connect to anything because it is so worried about me getting this useless voicemail that I cannot get.

Great job, Terrorist Mobile!

Upvote 0
Well, this takes the cake.

I travelled this weekend to somewhere that amazingly DOES have Terrorist Mobile service- at least depending upon what room I am in and what direction I face.

Anyway, my plan has 4½GB of data a month, and because service is nonexistant I rarely use even half of that.

So, with nothing else to do, I used a bit over 1GB of data.
They then cut me off, saying that I had used my monthly allotment.
(They 'kindly' sent a text saying that if I wanted more info, to go online and find out. That is funny, considering that they had just cut my data off!)

So here I am in the middle of the month without any data, and no idea what happened.

Terrorist Mobile!

Upvote 0
for me, it comes down to call coverage. I still use my smartphone as a PHONE. In fact, it's my only phone line. I use it for business and personal. In fact, I have a dual esimm with two lines. One for business and one for personal. I can't get good call coverage as good as Verizon with any other carrier. So, I stick with big red.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones