1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[T-Mobile] Just Rooted Galaxy S4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by paradoxymoron, Oct 27, 2014.

1. paradoxymoron

paradoxymoron Lurker

Hello, everyone!

I have just rooted my T-MOBILE S GS4 using the method provided on this the DROIDVIEWS website.
    It all went smoothly and i fortunately did not brick my phone. I used the rooting method, not the updating method. I was already on 4.4.4 when I rooted it.

I have a few questions though, because I am only a novice at this. I have never rooted a phone before. The main reason I turned to rooting was so I could delete bloatware. However, I have heard that deleting bloatware is dangerous and that I should freeze them instead with Titanium Backup. Why is this so? I want to delete them to have space and conserve battery life. Also, is there am up-to-date list of safe to delete bloatware for my phone?

I would also like to know how to use TiBu to its full extent, as the UI looks pretty daunting. What are some other good apps to have as a superuser and are there manuals to learn to use them?

Something else that worries me is how would I update the firmware on my phone from now on? For example, say Android 5.0 Lollipop comes out. How would I update my phone without loosing root and having to reset my phone?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm just being cautious with my phone. I hope you all can help me, please! Send me links that relate to what I'm asking or give me step-by-step details? Thanks so much!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. spicaalex

spicaalex Member

I've used this one: List of Bloats/ System Apps on Samsung Galaxy Devices that Can be Safely Removed | DroidViews
    though use you brain also, this list isn't fool-proof, I've experienced some minor issues (I have galaxy express 2, very same to s4 mini, os 4.4.2). so my advice - just disable what can be disabled with phone's app manager. safe, troubleless, and no need to reinstall fw if some bad side effects occur :)

be sure to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix&hl=ru to allow 3rd party apps to write to external sd card, kitkat blocks this... :( it's also thing you need root for.

minor fw updates are safe to install, you can always root again with chainfire's autoroot (PM me for info), it's the BEST method for all Samsung droids. and backup stuff with your beloved app, I, for example use 3rd party PC software. btw, I VERY DOUBT S4 will receive Lollipop. it's my IMHO, tho. :)

EarlyMon and scary alien like this.
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Welcome to our AndroidForums, paradoxymoron.

I've moved your thread over to the T-Mobile SGS4 all-things-root area for you.

Cheers!

EarlyMon likes this.
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

System apps are in a separate partition from user space - deleting them doesn't yield usable storage (unless you want to muck about with the /system area, not something I'd recommend).

And no matter how careful you are, there's always a danger of going after the wrong app - we're all human, that's an easy mistake. Freezing has an unfreeze - there's no undelete.

Welcome to the forums! :)

scary alien likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews