• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-mobile new UNcarrier plan?

Why do you say it seems like it's ending? I'm about to be going on this and if they end it before it starts, WOW I'm going to be very upset.

Heh

We're in the same boat it seems. I just found this plan 3 days ago and can't buy a phone until March 26th. The next best thing is Virgin Mobile's 'Beyond Talk Unlimited Data' for $35 but it's just not as good (that is being nice)

I just picked the phone out last night too. :rolleyes:

If you are buying the phone soon and afraid you are going to miss out on the plan, you can always activate the SIM card now, to get the plan. It isn't absolutely necessary to have a phone to activate the SIM (though you might need to call to get it activated, I believe the website wants the phones IMEI). I would, if you have a friend with a T-Mobile or unlocked AT&T phone, test the SIM after activating to make sure the SIM is working on the network.

While you'll be paying for a week or two where you aren't using it, it would make sure you get grandfathered on the plan.

Upvote 0
While you'll be paying for a week or two where you aren't using it, it would make sure you get grandfathered on the plan.

I'd go buy the phone right now if I knew for a fact you will be grandfathered in on the plan. My worry is I go buy the $200 phone, sign up with the plan and next week be told "Sorry but we're ditching that plan. You will be converted to pay as you go in 30 days"

My logic behind that is a post from another forum -
Grandfathered prepaid?
emot-LOL.gif

"Free Tmobile txt: You will be converted to pay as you go in 30 days."

Let the entitled a-holes swarm to another provider and bleed them dry.

Upvote 0
No carrier grandfathers prepaid plans. That's another one of the advantages of postpaid, whether on-contract or off-contract.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

Actually, there are pre-paid carriers that do. Virgin Mobile is a great example, they still have customers grandfathered on their $25/month plan that ended about 20 months ago. In fact, last May customers were upset, because they had gotten so used to Virgin grandfathering their plan, when they said that customers would lose the $25 plan if they upgraded their phone (it was considered an upgrade if the phone was released by Virgin after May 25 of last year). There are currently threads on the Virgin Mobile board asking what phone they can swap to that will allow them to keep their $25 plan.

With T-Mobile allegedly making it all about the customer with this "UNcarrier" campaign, it seems like they would want to keep their current $30 customers happy. There prepaid UNcarrier plans are a bit pricy compared to other carriers, their advantage is only if they offer a true unlimited plan with no throttling.

Also, when you consider the way T-Mobile has been hemorrhaging customers on their traditional plans, I don't think they want to risk losing a high percentage of their $30 plans. If they get rid of that plan, I think most of us are likely to look for a new carrier. That is part of the reason companies like Virgin will grandfather prepaid customers -- while no contract allows the carrier to change the terms at will, it also allows their customers to quit immediately.

Upvote 0
lol! i have unlocked phone, and t mobile sim. Walmart told me they wont do activations cause they had problems in the past and customer blamed them, so call tmobile. T mobile said no $30 plan on your sim unless you go through walmart. Bottom line, i just got net10/att sim and use that instead. I could go net 10 or straight talk t mobile, which is still better than tmobile itself. Their customer service was not good when i tried to activate. What good does network improvements do if your customer service sucks?...just use at&t as perfect example of that!

Upvote 0
lol! i have unlocked phone, and t mobile sim. Walmart told me they wont do activations cause they had problems in the past and customer blamed them, so call tmobile. T mobile said no $30 plan on your sim unless you go through walmart. Bottom line, i just got net10/att sim and use that instead. I could go net 10 or straight talk t mobile, which is still better than tmobile itself. Their customer service was not good when i tried to activate. What good does network improvements do if your customer service sucks?...just use at&t as perfect example of that!

You need to activate the $30/month plan online. I believe Walmart will only activate the phones purchased through them. Though I am surprised you couldn't get phone support to do it for you, it's the first time I've heard of someone who couldn't get phone support to help for the "Walmart plan" activation.

Upvote 0
I ordered my nexus 4 today and my prepaid sim card for it yesterday so I'm hoping that they'll still have it.

I'm NOT going to cancel my nexus order though if they wont still have it. I'll just probably get the next best option at $35 or under (maybe $40 at max) a month.

edit: lol, of course. Ships on the 26th for the phone. Hoping sim card will at least arrive tomorrow or the day after (jeez, 1 day before the Uncarrier goes live!)

Upvote 0
You need to activate the $30/month plan online. I believe Walmart will only activate the phones purchased through them. Though I am surprised you couldn't get phone support to do it for you, it's the first time I've heard of someone who couldn't get phone support to help for the "Walmart plan" activation.

Well, tried to do that also. And, it would not let me select that plan. Plus, i looked up the tmobile data coverage for upstate new york as opposed to att via net 10. t mobile covers about 10% of the area att does. So, i can use wifi mostly and att only when no wifi around to keep data under 1.5gb per month. Net 10 costs $15 more on autopay, but it only takes you 150 minutes more usage on tmobile to cost you same amount, but net 10 has unlimited voice minutes plus Better coverage. worth it to me!

Upvote 0
Well, tried to do that also. And, it would not let me select that plan. Plus, i looked up the tmobile data coverage for upstate new york as opposed to att via net 10. t mobile covers about 10% of the area att does. So, i can use wifi mostly and att only when no wifi around to keep data under 1.5gb per month. Net 10 costs $15 more on autopay, but it only takes you 150 minutes more usage on tmobile to cost you same amount, but net 10 has unlimited voice minutes plus Better coverage. worth it to me!

So you tried to activate online and it wouldn't let you select the 30 dollar plan? If so then that doesn't bode well for me tomorrow. :(

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones