• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T Mobile prepaid to Straight Talk?

Clueless 1

Lurker
Jul 20, 2013
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can advise if it is possible to switch my Samsung S2 from TMobiles prepaid to Straight Talk. I called Straight Talk, and they advised that I needed to know the type sim card on my phone, also the phone must be unlocked. Since I paid cash for the phone is it unlocked. Sorry, I am really new at this. Thanks for any help!

US carriers have a track record of sim locking almost every phone the sell. It will work if you get a t-mobile straight talk card without unlocking I believe, but you will probably need to be able to modify your apn settings. ST doesn't sell at&t sim cards anymore, so if you want one of those you'll have to buy one on amazon or ebay for quite a substantial amount. The other option is to use ST's sister affiliate Net10. They still offer at&t sim cards to my knowledge. However to use an at&t sim card it will have to be unlocked. Since you paid cash for it outright, t-mobile will probably unlock it for you, though there's no guarantee.

Reactions: Clueless 1
Upvote 0
There are 2 phones currently that straight talk sells that use Verizon towers: iPhone5, and LG Optimus Zip. There use to be a 3rd one made by Samsung, but I don't see that listed currently. Everything else you buy from them uses Sprint. Bring you own phone doesn't apply to cdma phones, only gsm. This means you have to use t-mobile or at&t towers. They had a falling out with at&t, so they no longer sell ST sim cards that allow you to use at&t towers. If you can find an unactivated one on the web though, they will honor it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones