1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [T-Mobile] Samsung Galaxy 3 Roaming T-Mobile

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Deaconacabeo, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Deaconacabeo

Deaconacabeo Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2014
    Hi, recently updated to android 4.3 and now phone displays a warning that I am roaming. called TM and was informed nothing is wrong with phone. Suggested I should contact Samsung which I did and was I formed that phone may have an antenna problem. Phone is currently out of warranty but stills works but so e dropped calls. Called TM again and asked about LTE service for this phone since not a (L) certified phone. I was told all models of Galaxy S3 work fine with LTE service in New York City. Any suggestions on how to stop roaming display. Already tried firmware update, rebooting, cleaning apps, ext. I am not even sure if there are different versions of the same TM Galaxy S3 phone.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If you're in NYC you should be able to find a TMobile antenna. (Like on every block in midtown, probably.) If you're right up close to the antenna, whether your phone's antenna is connected or not won't make any difference. If that cures it, either research it on the web (you just have to bend the contact up a smidge) or take it to a tech to do it. There are probably a few good repair shops within walking distance of anyplace in midtown. The spring up like dandelions in the spring (where there's dirt, not in the concrete jungle).

3. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA
    First off there are 2 version, the SGH T999 will not get LTE. The SGH T999L will. Have you tried turning off Roaming?
    Settings/More networks/Mobile networks. Uncheck Roaming.

4. Deaconacabeo

Deaconacabeo Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2014
    Thanks for quick responses. It seems I have the SGH T999 which has a hard time with LTE in NYC. I was wondering why in such a large city my signal was poor. I will try the antenna correction solution suggested in this tread. My only other option is to purchase a new phone in the future.

Whenever I speak with TM support they hardly know or suggest that the phone may be having problems locking into LTE signals because it is a S3 SGH T999.

PS: I will have to just deal with the data roaming issue until TM acknowledges the issue or I purchase a new phone. Yes, roaming is off and I have checked with TM. They have said no roaming charges posted. TM tech suggested send it to Samsung for repair or purchase another phone.

Again, thanks for the quick support.

5. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA
    The SGH T999 does not have an active LTE radio. It will not receive LTE just their 4G. To use LTE it MUST be the SGH T999L. T-Mobile does not charge for roaming, which is a good thing.

6. Deaconacabeo

Deaconacabeo Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2014
    Hi, thanks to all who gave advice and clarification about the Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 phone. TM support should monitor these boards and become educated about their products. I often fine that support usually does not know much about their phones and often leave their customers confused about their phone's capabilities. Internet boards are the best placed to get details about specific products because the person posting usually uses the product and has first hand knowledge of the product. Again, thanks to all who posted on this tread.:)