• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

t-mobile Simple Choice Free International roaming (data/text)

gtbarry

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2012
California
With t-mobile (USA) Simple Choice plans you are eligible to get free data and text while roaming in over 100 countries. Just curious if people have any experience with this

Is there something you wish you knew going in?

Also, I will be traveling to the following locations soon and would love to know if anyone has experience in these cities with Simple Choice (or do I need to do the old fashion local SIM in my unlocked phone):
- Toronto (Canada)
- Prague/Pilsen (Czech Republic)
- Geneva (Switzerland)
- Stuttgart (Germany)

Thanks!

I haven't found official wording from T-Mobile (aside from a statement that you wouldn't have the same high-speed data access that you do at home), but did find an Engadget article about the experience:

That unlimited international data actually came along with a pretty nasty limit. Regardless of the partner network you're using abroad, speeds are capped at 128 Kbps -- in many cases, that's a tiny fraction of the pipe overseas carriers offer to their own customers, and to a partner's users with a pay-per-use roaming plan. 128 Kbps sounds almost unusable, and it is, but for certain tasks, T-Mobile's restrictions won't make much difference, as I discovered during a week-long trip to Taiwan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones