• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile/Sprint

cxs6957

Aug 27, 2011
Before I had Android I had Verizon, AT&T, Cricket and Helio and got screwed by every single company in way or another and generally found customer service extremely unpleasant to deal with. In mid 2011 I met my boyfriend who worked for Sprint at the time. Through him I was introduced to the EVO 4G and fell in love with it and signed up with Sprint. (My boyfriend endlessly tried convincing me to get the Nexus phone they had at the time but I was in love with the EVO and only found out later how much of an impact it had made on the smartphone community and how popular it was among Sprint users. Seven months later I was laid off and I ended up going into collections with Sprint which I only recently started to address.

For months I was intent on paying off my account so I could sign up with them again because I loved Sprints customer service and the 4G was great in my area and I use over 15 GB of data a month sometimes. But I went into T-Mobile a couple of months ago after they started their truly unlimited data and they somehow approved me for FIVE lines so I got the GS3. The staff was likeable and friendly. My service had been really good so far and I love the GS3., I had the GS2 on Sprint for a while and liked it but this phone is great. And whenever I call customer service they have been as good as Sprint, super friendly and pleasant.

But I've almost paid off my Sprint account now, and now that I'm full time at my job In have extra money to pay off the cancellation fee on my T Mobile contract if I wanted. I would keep my GS3 but I kind of really miss the EVO line and I've played with the newest one in stores and I like it almost equally to the GS3.

Has anyone been with both companies longer than I have, long enough to give me advice on whether it would be worth it to pay off T Mobile and go back to Sprint?

Are your data speeds good w/Sprint? I just switched from Boost/Sprint and their data speeds were terrible. T-Mobile is very fast in my area.

I would say if the plans are the same, which they are, then a major factor is the actual service. Boost/Sprint is very very very slow 3G in my area. Ask around your area about TMo. And 4G/Wimax isn't available everywhere. Another thing to consider is prepaid. I was in a similar situation w/Sprint (before Boost) where i had to stop paying because the monthly cost was too high. TMo has some very good ppd plans

Upvote 0
I highly recommend the Carrier Coverage app from the Play store. While it is based on user submited data, it did help me in deciding what GSM carrier I wanted to get before I purchased my phone. The app showed T-Mobile as being the strongest coverage for where I live, so that's who I went with.

Give the app a try for awhile to see which carrier shows the strongest coverage in your area. It should help you narrow down your decision.

Reactions: cxs6957
Upvote 0
I would vote T-Mobile, but really if they both have service in the areas you frequent go with who you like. It sounds like they match up pretty evenly in your mind but sprint may offer some devices that you like that T-Mobile doesn't. If your signing a two year contract go with the device you'll be happy with.

I have had sprint in the past but just didn't care for them, that's just me though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones