1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General T-Mobile store swears no FM radio in G2X

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by John Jason, May 29, 2011.

1. John Jason

John Jason Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm supposed to have a job?
    Portland, left side North America
    Today I went to a T-Mobile store to check out the G2X. The rep let me play with it as much as I wanted, so I installed Speedtest and checked out the connection in the store. I got 4.9 to 5.8 Mbps down and about 1.0 up.

Then I went to try out the FM radio, because that is a big deal for me. I couldn't find it anywhere. The rep said he'd never heard that it came with an FM radio, so he checked T-Mobile's site, and confirmed that their site said "FM Radio - No."

Other places on the net say it comes with an "FM Radio with RDS," or they say nothing about an FM radio one way or the other.

Please don't tell me T-Mobile had LG remove the radio. If it doesn't have an FM radio I'll have to get something else. I hate streaming radio over the net because I get disconnected every 15 minutes.

Advertisement

2. samaz19091

samaz19091 Lurker
    None

May 30, 2011
    Nope sorry, no radio on the g2x

3. ickster

ickster Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    N. Texas
    Wow, I thought it had one too. Thought I read on one of the forums that the antenna was in the headset. like my old Archos.

Edit....look below at the description of the G2X on this page......
    Edit 2 XDA's device database says there is one as well. Odd. I sure don't see it in the phone either.
    Edit 3 I used anycut to make a hidden menu icon . There I found a radio test function. It has two empty fields, Frequency and volume. I did not try it.

4. ickster

None

Jan 22, 2011
    N. Texas
  5. John Jason

John Jason Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm supposed to have a job?
    Portland, left side North America
    That page is kind of confusing, that is, it's unclear from any of the posts whether anyone actually has a working radio or even found it in the G2X. But, even if it has a radio, it appears that no one has it working, except maybe one poster. And he just offered how to get the radio app without mentioning whether he actually has it working. In fact, I have yet to hear anyone specifically say they have the FM radio in the G2X working.

I can stream all the stations I want to listen to, but it is less reliable and uses up a lot of my data. I guess I'm the only Android user who insists on an FM radio in his phone. :(

I still haven't written off the G2X, pending confirmation that there is no FM radio. But it would be nice to have some official information.

6. ickster

None

Jan 22, 2011
    N. Texas
    True that. I can't imagine why they would make it inoperative. Streaming depends on the internet onnection. I'm thinking the FM on the phone would be a true radio chip in the phone? As opposed to getting the radio through the web somehow. I don't know.
    But the whole thing has me curious. I was unaware until your post that it did not work. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't work. I would use it for sure, tho' not often.
    This phone does soooo much I had not even got that far yet LOL. I've never even tried my bluetooth hradset or fully checked my apps compatability or tried the video camera or the hi def out......
    So many functions so little time ha ha! I could have worse problems right?

7. ickster

None

Jan 22, 2011
    N. Texas
    I went and tried entering values in the fields at the radio test.
    I put in 92.5 for frequency and 55 for volume. It force closed when I pushed the frequency button. Tried 92500 as well.....can't figure out how to input or enter the values. So looks like the test is there but disabled?

8. mojorisin7178

mojorisin7178 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 27, 2011
    I use the tune in radio app and Sirius XML app while I do go through a whole lot of. Data I don't loss my connection anymore. With my blackberry curve on EDGE is sucked and I lost signal all the time but with the 4 g that does not happen. Last night I was on at 2 am and I hit 18 mbs up!!!! This phone is still amazing no matter what. You should definitely get it I think everyone should have one.

Tags: