• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] TWO s off methods!

scotty85

Extreme Android User
Jul 25, 2010
moonshine has been released:
moonshine xda thread
direct link:
http://moonshine.io/

and also a well known team has released what they are calling a developer early access edition:
revolutionary

i tried revolutionarys method partially becasue it used more commands and was slightly less automated,partially becasue it didnt require linux,and mostly becasue moonshine doesnt list a download for t mobile us yet.

worked like a charm on my first try,casueing much giddy schoolgirl type giggling :D

heres what it looks like,if anyone has the notion to try it:
Code:
c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="Red"]adb push revone /data/local/tmp/[/COLOR]
3272 KB/s (646704 bytes in 0.193s)

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
shell@android:/ $ [COLOR="red"]cd /data/local/tmp[/COLOR]
cd /data/local/tmp
shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ [COLOR="red"]chmod 755 revone[/COLOR]
chmod 755 revone
shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ [COLOR="red"]su[/COLOR]
su
root@android:/data/local/tmp # [COLOR="red"]./revone -P[/COLOR]
./revone -P
revone successful - please reboot to continue.
root@android:/data/local/tmp #

[COLOR="Blue"]*physically reboot phone(dont use adb reboot)[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="Red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
shell@android:/ $ [COLOR="red"]cd /data/local/tmp[/COLOR]
cd /data/local/tmp
shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ [COLOR="red"]su[/COLOR]
su
root@android:/data/local/tmp # [COLOR="red"]./revone -s 0 -u[/COLOR]
./revone -s 0 -u
revone successful.
root@android:/data/local/tmp # [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
exit
shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
exit

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot getvar all[/COLOR]
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.14.3250.15
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.27.531.7
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HTxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0713000
(bootloader) cidnum: T-MOB010
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4107mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off [COLOR="Blue"]<-hooray![/COLOR]
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-60fafa5b0be2807a0ad050f62f94e0010
getvar:all FAILED (unknown status code)
finished. total time: 0.087s

Reactions: KOLIO
With Revone, Possibly. There have been varying degrees of success with the temp root that tool uses. You can remove all visual traces of having unloc s off, I would recommend just doing that. Being unlocked and rooted already, it worked for me on the first try.

With moonshine, you need to be unlocked and rooted with the one. Last I checked, there was not a moonshine download for T Mobile.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
OK, I am going to do it this weekend. I am going to do Moonshine as it is the easiest.

i did rev one,and it was extremely easy,and fast. it worked fine for me on the first time.allready being unlocked and rooted may have helped.

i havent used moonshine,so i cant comment from experience. from the directions the phone may reboot several times. so while it may be easier in that you just have to run the program and then watch it,it may take longer and be slightly more nerve-racking :eek: :D

not saying you should use rev one,just giving some feedbAck. imo its awsome that we actually have a choice in s off methods to use. :cool:

Reactions: chong67
Upvote 0
Scotty,

I have download the file from Moonshine.

I have Revolutionary HD install and the Firmware that came with it and is that OK?

i have no idea. last i looked at moonshine,they said you had to be on the stock rom,and at that time there was no t mobile download for the tool. ill take a closer look later,but only thing i can say without looking is make sure you follow their directions exactly,as they are not very nice in IRC if you need support and have varied from their instruction.

Upvote 0
Is s-off even needed to flash roms? Or should I even bother. Also, I read somewhere that when I flashed the ruu to get it back to stock, it may have made it so I can't access s-off anymore. Anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

The revone s-off work's in hboot 1.44.0000 you can check your in the bootloader screen.
I'm not sure if the RUU you used updated it or not?
At any rate you don't need s-off to flash roms... I recommend CleanRom it's posted in the AT&T root forum

Upvote 0
Also, I read somewhere that when I flashed the ruu to get it back to stock, it may have made it so I can't access s-off anymore. Anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

yes,it is true. while the t mobile ruu did not update hboot past 1.44,it did change something else that has patched both revone and moonshine's exploits. :(

as clsa said,you do not need s off to flash roms,but it is doing several other security checks and has several limitations. it just all depends on the extent to wich you would like to modify your phone.

i personally am an advocate of s off,as long as you are capable of using some caution as to what you flash and why :)

Upvote 0
So, I used the most recent ruu, so I'm assuming s-off is not impossible. Which is probably good, as I killed my phone 8 hours after I bought it, and it took me two days to get it back working again. I tried the modaco switch, as I wanted the gpe experience (I want as close to stock as possible), but that is what started the problems, so I don't want to mess with that right now. Which rom do you suggest? Will changing the roms affect the radios at all? Thanks all. I'm coming from Moto Bionic to the one, so this is all new to me.

Upvote 0
So, I used the most recent ruu, so I'm assuming s-off is not impossible.

did you read this? ;)
yes,it is true. while the t mobile ruu did not update hboot past 1.44,it did change something else that has patched both revone and moonshine's exploits. :(

what that statement means,is "yes. s off is impossible if youve accepted either the OTA or run the RUU, and have updated to 1.27.531.11"

your stuck with s on until another exploit is found. :(

the first rule of rooting,is always take advantage of exploits when they pop up. they tend to get patched quickly.

a good rule with htc is never accept an ota or run a new ruu(leaked or official) while s on. the tighter security gets,the harder it is to crack.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones