• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile UK 2.1 update news

build no. 1.76.110.146733 CL#7214

Do I need to download any ROM from HTC or just have to wait for T Mobile to send update for 2.1 to me??

You'll want to d/l and install the most recent 1.5 ROM from here. Once you've installed that the 2.1 OTA updates should become available to you.

NB I've not OTA'd myself so hopefully someone who has will confirm that it's indeed as simple as I outlined above. ;)

Upvote 0
New day, new resolve... I am determined to get this sorted....

Can anyone advise... I have done something suggested on your 'trying to update but get error 170' thread. I have rebotted and am ready to have another go with the ROM upgrade...( HTC Hero - ROM upgrade for HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2 ))

Before I do this can any put my mind at rest, the HTC site says.....

* This is a generic software update. Any additional software or settings provided by your mobile operator or company will be lost. If you require this customization, please contact your supplier first before upgrading.

I have backed up my SD card... is there anything else I need to do..??

I am a bit nervous just in case everything go 't..s up' and I dont have the knowledge to sort it out..

Thanks for putting up with me...

Sm

http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=283&cat=2&dl_id=775

Upvote 0
Do you mean that i will no longer be able to use my phone???? what will i lose? what does this back up app do anyway? if the rom is Tmobile why doesnt it work proberly without all this cra...p that normal people dont understand.

now getting error 171 and i know my usb is plugged in coz its just analised the bloody esisting ROM... getting seriuosly fuc...ed off, 7 month old phone... 2 year contract... I used to like my phone... now never HTC again.

if this is the trouble i have getting the latest ROM god help me with 2.1... dont understand 99% of stuff being talked of on here....

sorry moderator but I am soooooooo peeed off at the mo :-(((

Upvote 0
I am soooooooo peeed off at the mo :-(((

Understandably, but we'll try to help.

First, check in Menu/Settings/Applications/Development that "USB debugging" is enabled. Then connect to the PC using the USB cable supplied with the Hero and check that Sync identifies the device (tray icon turns green, "My HTC Hero" appears). Now try re-running the ROM update.

Upvote 0
Do you mean that i will no longer be able to use my phone???? what will i lose? what does this back up app do anyway? if the rom is Tmobile why doesnt it work proberly without all this cra...p that normal people dont understand.

If you dont use the app I mentioned earlier, the ROM will wipe the phone back to a factory condition. You'd lose all your apps, their settings, messages, contacts etc etc.

The mybackup pro app will save all these, and restore them after the update (after reinstalling the app and choosing the restore option).

If you're happy to lose everything, then simply run the 1.5 update file.

You wont lose date when doing OTA updates once you've installed the required 1.5 ROM.

Upvote 0
Hi guys (very patient ones at that!! ;) )

I gave up with Widows 7 and nicked my sons computer (pre W7) and it was plain sailing.... thanks.

One thing..

I now am on:

TMobile G2
Build 2.73110.26
Software 1.0.0A6288

Should I automatically get OTA update sometime - I dont seem to have the illusive 'check for updates' or anything like it..

thanks

Sm

Upvote 0
Hi guys (very patient ones at that!! ;) )

It comes with the territory. You have to be patient with updates for the Hero. ;)

I gave up with Widows 7 and nicked my sons computer (pre W7) and it was plain sailing.... thanks.
Not again! :( I wish I could work out why some W7 systems work fine and others don't. Glad you got it sorted anyway.

I now am on:

TMobile G2
Build 2.73110.26

Should I automatically get OTA update sometime
You should get an initial OTA that will take you to 2.73.110.91 (iirc), which will also introduce the "Check for updates" button in Settings/About phone.

Upvote 0
I finally did it, I updated my wifes phone.

I've been ignoring it for a few weeks now and finally in a moment of madness i clicked the update now.

It worked perfect, didn't even need to back up apps, the only down side is it deleted the home pages, but i was expecting that as 2.1 has a different layout and functionality.

So it looks like T-mob have finally sorted their act out.

Upvote 0
unlocked from t-mobile, now on vodaphone

Finally took the plunge to update to 2.1 - got mybackuppro to ensure that I could restore etc.

Read the various posts, got the latest HTC sync on my pc (this looks to be working as it recognised my phone) and attempted to download latest 1.5 ROM from HTC in order to get the "check for update" option - failed at this point! After entering my serial number I got a note to say that I couldn't download the software. I assumed that I may have the right version, so undertook a reset anyway.

Once fully restored I tried changing the date to see if that prompted any OTA response - nothing.

So, I'm still on 1.5
build no - 1.76.110.6 146733
software version 1.0.0.A6288

have I missed something? Why can't I download the November 09 update?

Honest I have read all the previous posts (I may have missed something I'm not the most tekkie person in the world so I may have overlooked something crucial) please help!

thank you

Upvote 0
unlocked from t-mobile, now on vodaphone

Finally took the plunge to update to 2.1 - got mybackuppro to ensure that I could restore etc.

Read the various posts, got the latest HTC sync on my pc (this looks to be working as it recognised my phone) and attempted to download latest 1.5 ROM from HTC in order to get the "check for update" option - failed at this point! After entering my serial number I got a note to say that I couldn't download the software. I assumed that I may have the right version, so undertook a reset anyway.

Once fully restored I tried changing the date to see if that prompted any OTA response - nothing.

So, I'm still on 1.5
build no - 1.76.110.6 146733
software version 1.0.0.A6288

have I missed something? Why can't I download the November 09 update?

Honest I have read all the previous posts (I may have missed something I'm not the most tekkie person in the world so I may have overlooked something crucial) please help!

thank you
Well, I was obviously more of a tekkie than I thought - I tried again today by getting past the first hurdle of the ROM update, followed a link on a previous link and then proceeded to get the OTA almost immediately! Also found out you don't have to have HTC sync working (that's another story!) to install the ROM.

Just going through my restore process and it does feel much quicker - 2.1 looks worth it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones