• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile UK and internet/tethering - cunning plan?

I really want the Samsung Galaxy S II, and saw that more networks (Voda and T-Mobile) have been added to the Phones4U site today. I'm looking for a reasonably priced option that includes a moderate number of calling minutes (say, 300) but that most of all gives me decent internet usage for my phone, with occasional, light tethering for my laptop.

I've read that the "unlimited internet" flexible booster is speed capped and cannot be used for tethering. Would it be possible to pay for one of the mobile broadband options instead, and use it for both phone and tethering use? That would free up my included flexible booster to use on unlimited landline calls, so I could opt for a cheaper tariff with fewer inclusive minutes. If so, what mobile broadband options are available, and what are their speeds and limits/Fair Usage Policies? The web site doesn't seem to list these (at least, it doesn't explain anything clearly - you could almost think they're doing it deliberately....). 1GB would be plenty as I can use wifi at home/work.

Hope someone can advise! Registration on T-Mobile's own forums is broken at present, their chat advisor couldn't help, and customer services is on holiday.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones