1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

T-mobile unlimited hotspot

Discussion in 'T-Mobile' started by rkcar, Oct 29, 2013.

1. rkcar

rkcar Lurker

Hello. I'm signing up for t-mobiles unlimited plan. They restrict hotspot tethering to 2.5gigs per month. Is there a workaround for this? I really want to ditch my home internet. My phone is not rooted. Thanks.

2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

It is a Terms of Service Violation to exceed your tethering allotment. T-Mobile is much better than most carriers at detecting unauthorized tethering since simple native tethering and root tethering apps are still detected.

3. rkcar

rkcar Lurker

Jeepers I don't give a crap about terms of service violations. Is there another online forum where people discuss these things?

4. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

It can be discussed here, that's not the issue. The issue is that T-Mobile is better than any other carrier at preventing it. Most of the ways around it are very involved, more than just simply rooting and using a root enabled app.

5. rkcar

rkcar Lurker

Oh I see. Bummer. Thanks for the info.

6. chong67

chong67 Android Expert

I give you more info.

If you want to do this, get a VPN app with it. That way Tmo cant see what you are doing, but they do know you are hogging crapload of bandwidth.

It is best to use "Wifi Tether" tether. Your phone needs to be rooted. But if your phone use 4.3 firmware, then you can forget about it for now.

I remember using Nexus 4 and the native Hotsport work just fine.

7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

Doesn't work. I tried everything and a couple months ago T-Mobile changed whatever they do to monitor and tethering is still cut off no matter what app you use (native tethering or 3rd party app).

There is a tether unlock app on Google Play that allowed me to still tether my iPad, but that's it. Computers and PS3 were still unable to tether.

8. chong67

chong67 Android Expert

You mean if I use "Wifi Tether" app it will cut off? Well, I told my friend to root his HTC One S phone and use "Wifi Tether" yesterday and it work for him. If he uses the native Hotspot he sees that upsell message.

Is your phone rooted? Do you have 4.3 firmware and using "Wifi Tether"?'

Read post #27: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2398011&page=3

9. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

I have a Nexus 4, AOKP ROM, Android 4.2.2, LTE (if that makes a difference). And yes, I get the upsell (really downsell since you lose unlimited mobile data) message on a PC, nothing on the PS3, and iPad works fine to tether.

10. chong67

chong67 Android Expert

If you are on 4.2.2 than do not update your firmware.

I think I know what you have to do. You have to change the data string on your PC web browser. If you don't want to, then do VPN on your phone before you fire up "Wifi Tether" app.

11. lmurphy1

lmurphy1 Newbie

Has T-Mobile changed this since last November? That is, is WiFi hotspot tethering allowed now?

12. chong67

chong67 Android Expert

Yes, $70 plan get you 3GB of tethering. $80 plan get you 5GB of tethering.

la sal likes this.
  13. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert

I buy my data from T-Mobile al

lmurphy1 likes this.
  14. lmurphy1

lmurphy1 Newbie

Hi Dave,
    Which T-Mobile plan do you have that allows you to buy data ala cart?

thanks,
    Linda