1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root T-mobile Wifi Calling on Optimus One ROMs is here!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Explore3, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Explore3

Explore3 Lurker
    None

May 18, 2011
    Background
    The Optimus One and the Optimus T are essentially the same phone. The Optimus One is sold in most countries in the world. This has resulted in a huge number of Optimus One users in comparison to Optimus T users. This is reflected in the number of Optimus One ROMs available. There are a lot of great Optimus One ROMs.

Problem
    The T-mobile wifi calling feature is only built into the T-mobile ROMS. This has meant that if you used a custom ROM based on the Optimus One you could not use the wifi calling feature. (Uses no minutes if you are on a plan and register for wifi calling)

Solution
    Someone going by the name AxesofEvil has developed a zip file that you can flash over an Optimus One (P500) ROM and it will give you the ability to make wifi calls. It actually works!!!

[MOD]Add Wifi Calling for froyo based roms (T-Mobile only) - xda-developers

I hope this fix will encourage other Optimus T owners to explore all the great Optimus One custom ROMs!

Advertisement

2. Cramill

Cramill Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Software Developer
    Arizona
    Um, the wifi calling does use your plan minutes. Its purpose is to be used when you have little to no cell signal. You can then use wifi calling to make and receive calls in those cases.

Other than that, it's cool that wifi calling is available with those ROM's now!

3. Explore3

Explore3 Lurker
    None

May 18, 2011
    Things changed in May. :)

It costs me $/minutes to use wifi calling since I am on the prepaid plan. Prepaid plans and some grandfathered plans are exempted from free wifi calling. :( Here is the info about free wifi calling.

T-Mobile’s Free Unlimited Wi-Fi Calling Is Official - Techland - TIME.com

Here is some detailed info.

T-Mobile Free Unlimited Wi-Fi Calling for Even More / EM+ Plans - Slickdeals.net
    PS You Do need to register to get the free wifi ($0 cost).

4. Cramill

Cramill Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Software Developer
    Arizona
    Ah, first time I've heard about this free wifi calling stuff.

Sounds like calling US numbers while not in the US with wifi calling is included. That would be very nice when traveling!

Tags: