• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

t9 keyboard being used by anyone?

Upvote 0
Looks pretty bad judging by the comments. And probably a battery killer.

Sick of getting ripped off, most android apps suck.
No trial...no thanks.

There's got to be something out there, can't believe htc doesn't have keypad like I used on my 8525...
Mytouch starting to look like a disappointment to me after 1 day...

Upvote 0
Looks pretty bad judging by the comments. And probably a battery killer.

Sick of getting ripped off, most android apps suck.
No trial...no thanks.

There's got to be something out there, can't believe htc doesn't have keypad like I used on my 8525...
Mytouch starting to look like a disappointment to me after 1 day...

Just go buy it, try it out and see what you think. You can delete the app and be refunded your money. You get 1 day to trial out any app, if you don't like it then you get refunded. I have loved Better Keyboard, for me at least it doesn't kill my battery. It does run in the background, but my battery isn't affected.

I would say give it a try and then see what you think. I've tried the default keyboard, TouchPal, and Better Keyboard, and of those, Better Keyboard is the best and most customizable.

Don't count MyTouch out, its a great phone, you just need to set it to your liking and then it'll be the perfect phone, that does take some time, but its always possible.

Upvote 0
Just go buy it, try it out and see what you think. You can delete the app and be refunded your money. You get 1 day to trial out any app, if you don't like it then you get refunded. I have loved Better Keyboard, for me at least it doesn't kill my battery. It does run in the background, but my battery isn't affected.

I would say give it a try and then see what you think. I've tried the default keyboard, TouchPal, and Better Keyboard, and of those, Better Keyboard is the best and most customizable.

Don't count MyTouch out, its a great phone, you just need to set it to your liking and then it'll be the perfect phone, that does take some time, but its always possible.
You're right, had to tweak, I am absolutely loving it now.

That hero was horrible in every aspect, thought Mytouch was heading in the same direction.

Upvote 0
You're right, had to tweak, I am absolutely loving it now.

That hero was horrible in every aspect, thought Mytouch was heading in the same direction.

I am puzzled by your comment regarding the Hero, when compared to MyTouch.

I have service with both Sprint and T-Mobile, and have both the Hero and MyTouch 3G.

Over the MyTouch, the Hero has a light sensor, glass screen, higher capacity battery, better camera, Sense UI (which can be disabled), HTC EZInput/T9, 3.5mm audio connector, and 288Mb RAM compared to 192 of the MyTouch. The Hero feels like it's better finished when compared to the pasticky feel of the MyTouch. Other than that, their specifications, even layout, is very similar.

What about the MyTouch do you like better, when compared to the Hero? What makes you say that the Hero is junk while "loving" the MyTouch?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Maybe it was a defective unit or battery, actually in hindsight, I get almost no Sprint signal at my house, so the Hero trying to constantly acquire a 3g signal was killing the battery.

I set in on my kitchen counter with no apps running and the battery was dead in a few hours.

But the real reason I went with Tmo is async voice/data is a requirement for me.

I agree with you on the comparisons, but I do like the look and feel of the MyTouch, it just fits my hand better.

Upvote 0
Maybe it was a defective unit or battery, actually in hindsight, I get almost no Sprint signal at my house, so the Hero trying to constantly acquire a 3g signal was killing the battery.

I set in on my kitchen counter with no apps running and the battery was dead in a few hours.

But the real reason I went with Tmo is async voice/data is a requirement for me.

I agree with you on the comparisons, but I do like the look and feel of the MyTouch, it just fits my hand better.

Thanks for your reply. How does the MyTouch do async voice/data in ways that the Hero does not? I'm curious about that.

And yes, poor signal will kill batteries. I have poor Sprint reception at my house. Using an Airave, it made all the difference.

The other plus for the Hero is multi-touch. I like the option of pinch and drag. I like the MyTouch as well, I just wish it was equipped like the Hero.

Ok!!!! Touch Input now working with Donut, works perfectly.

Which T9 did you go with? HTC EZInput or TouchPal? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. How does the MyTouch do async voice/data in ways that the Hero does not? I'm curious about that.

And yes, poor signal will kill batteries. I have poor Sprint reception at my house. Using an Airave, it made all the difference.

The other plus for the Hero is multi-touch. I like the option of pinch and drag. I like the MyTouch as well, I just wish it was equipped like the Hero.

Which T9 did you go with? HTC EZInput or TouchPal? Thanks.

The async v/d allows me to talk to someone on the phone while surfing the web, checking email, while I'm tethered from my laptop. I'm using the above mentioned link for input, which is very nice. It's the HTC keypad, shows up as "Touch Input". Only thing I don't like is it has it's own dictionary and if you add a word accidentally, there is no way to delete it from the dictionary.

Upvote 0
The async v/d allows me to talk to someone on the phone while surfing the web, checking email, while I'm tethered from my laptop. I'm using the above mentioned link for input, which is very nice. It's the HTC keypad, shows up as "Touch Input". Only thing I don't like is it has it's own dictionary and if you add a word accidentally, there is no way to delete it from the dictionary.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, UMTS is nice. One of the nicest features of UMTS is simultaneous voice and data. I wish Sprint implemented the the same on EVDO Rev. A (simultaneous voice/data theoretically possible). The only problem though, is that T-Mobile's UTMS/3G coverage is not great. When in EDGE, there goes the voice/data together.

Did you end up getting the Fender Edition?

How is the battery life between the Hero and MyTouch3G? The MyTouch has a 1340 mAH battery, same as the Diamond and Touch Pro(1). The Hero has a 1500 mAH battery, same as the Touch Pro(2). Unless the SenseUI, CDMA, and Sprint bloatware makes a huge difference, I'd imagine the MyTouch would have worse battery life?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your comments. Yes, UMTS is nice. One of the nicest features of UMTS is simultaneous voice and data. I wish Sprint implemented the the same on EVDO Rev. A (simultaneous voice/data theoretically possible). The only problem though, is that T-Mobile's UTMS/3G coverage is not great. When in EDGE, there goes the voice/data together.

Did you end up getting the Fender Edition?

How is the battery life between the Hero and MyTouch3G? The MyTouch has a 1340 mAH battery, same as the Diamond and Touch Pro(1). The Hero has a 1500 mAH battery, same as the Touch Pro(2). Unless the SenseUI, CDMA, and Sprint bloatware makes a huge difference, I'd imagine the MyTouch would have worse battery life?

Thanks again.
The Fender was canceled so I ended us with a merlot mytouch and I'm loving it, battery is fine.
Sprint signal is spotty in Charlotte and virtually no signal at my house
I also hate that rubber coating on the hero.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones