• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tab S2 Screen stopped working for no apparent reason

paulb104

Lurker
Aug 29, 2011
I have a SM-T710, eight inch Tab S2. I use it for surfing the web and flash games. It's in the Samsung book cover case, the one that clips into the two round thingies on the back. I bought the tablet and case together, new, I think from Sam's Club.

I am the only one who uses it. When it's not in use it goes in a padded fabric carry case. I have never, ever, dropped the tablet. It has never gotten wet. A few months ago I was playing a game, I closed the case and put it down. When I picked it up and opened it about twenty minutes later, the tablet went on went on fine, entered the app that it was in previously, but the screen didn't work. Since then I have tried innumerable things including multiple factory wipes. I have never been able to get any functionality from my screen again.

When the tablet is on and I push hard on the screen, there's no discoloration, no indication that there's anything wrong. Just nothing.

I've never used Geek Squad, so I called them and they only work on tablets that were purchased there AND are still under warranty, and by "work on" I mean they mail them to a third party. All the local computer repair shops that I contacted don't work hardware on tablets, only software.

Might anyone have any idea what might have happened?

How about what to do about it?

If you're able to actually see the screen to do things like Factory Resets that's an indicator the screen itself isn't 'broken'. If the screen was dead you wouldn't be able to see anything.
Also keep in mind a Factory Reset only wipes the user data partition clean, it does not have any affect at all on the operating system nor any of the system partitions.
At this point you might want to try flashing a stock Samsung ROM. Flashing a ROM is basically the same as using a Restore disc on a PC. It just replaces the installed operating system with a clean one. You can download the appropriate stock ROM for your model from here:
https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?q=GALAXY+Tab+S2+sm-t710&exact=1&r=&v=&rpp=15
Instructions on the actual flashing process:
https://updato.com/how-to/how-to-install-an-official-samsung-stock-firmware-using-odin

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones