• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rollinthundr

Jun 30, 2010
I am in the market for a tablet, and I really want one that runs Honeycomb, has cameras, a nice processor, etc. I also only want/need Wifi.

It occurs to me there is nothing really on the near horizon meeting these specs?

I am seriously having trouble conceding to buying an iPad, PLEAE HELP!:eek:

I am in the market for a tablet, and I really want one that runs Honeycomb, has cameras, a nice processor, etc. I also only want/need Wifi.

It occurs to me there is nothing really on the near horizon meeting these specs?

Honestly, buy an Ipad. Outside of the Galaxy Tab and Motorola's XOOM ($800? You must be joking), there isn't an Android tab that remotely stacks up to the Ipad as far as out of the box usability.

Upvote 0
I literally had it in my cart, and I continue to have these reservations on what ASUS is coming out with, etc...

I also think to myself it'll take longer for other companies to come out with Accessories, Software tailored to the tablets, etc...

It seems to me Apple is a good year ahead of the other manufacturers for tablets, am I way off base?

Upvote 0
Honestly, I can't imagine why you would need Honeycomb on a tablet. Is it nice? Absolutely. Is it a need? No. There are a lot of apps that aren't going to run on the Xoom at first just because it has Honeycomb. I would stick with a tablet running Froyo. I can't see the utility of a camera on a tablet unless it's a front facing one. I can't see a practical use for anything other than that. What are you wanting to use the tablet for?

Upvote 0
Honestly, there is no need for it but when you are in the market for something new, I like to buy on the cusp so I have no buyers remorse in 3-4 months.

I also was excited, being a loyal Palm fan, to experience Matt Duartes new interface. I also love Android, and have a thing against those people in the white robes (reference to the Xoom commerical Apple users:D)

I am really leaning towards the iPad at this point, but appreciate the input of this thread.

Upvote 0

What's your definition of "near horizon"? Because to me, there are plenty of tablets coming out this year and that's what I define as "near horizon". Why buy an Ipad now when the Ipad 2 is in the "near horizon" (2nd Qtr). You waited this long, might as well wait a little longer if you really want a Honeycomb or a tablet with cameras.

Upvote 0
Honestly, there is no need for it but when you are in the market for something new, I like to buy on the cusp so I have no buyers remorse in 3-4 months.

I also was excited, being a loyal Palm fan, to experience Matt Duartes new interface. I also love Android, and have a thing against those people in the white robes (reference to the Xoom commerical Apple users:D)

I am really leaning towards the iPad at this point, but appreciate the input of this thread.

You're definitely going to have buyers remorse in 3-4 months if you're already thinking like that. People who are afraid of having buyers remorse, will have buyers remorse because they end of settling for something they didn't want.

Wait man! I don't want you wasting your money when I know you won't be totally happy. And that's for real.

Upvote 0
Next few months or so.

• There will be only a few token apps ready right off the bat
  • I really like the Otterboxes, and they typically lag Android by 3-4 months.
  • Honestly, the camera is optional, since I have an EVO, and can use it for Videoconferencing
  • Netflix App is already in iOS, not Android.
  • I can save $100-$150, and I am cheap, by buying a refurbed iPad, which is equivalent to a new one in my mind

Next year, this time, I am sure the landscape will be quite different.

Upvote 0
If you're afraid of buyer's remorse in 3-4 months, then you do NOT want to buy any Android tablet. The new iPad will come out in a month or so. It will be the top of the line iOS tablet for the next year. Someone will release a tablet that is bigger and badder than the Xoom in 3-4 months if that. A few months after that, someone will release a tablet that is better than that one. If you could buy a Xoom today and you bought one, I will guarantee you there will be something better than the Xoom out in 3-4 months. That is how Android devices are.

What are you wanting to do with this tablet?

Upvote 0
Assuming that the life cycle of a product is one year (meaning that the company will release a 2nd generation after a year), the sucker point is defined as the 6 month point - beyond that point there's no more reason to buy that product. You have already waited for 6 months, so you might as well wait for another six months.

Obviously different manufacturer will have different life cycle plans, but seeing that Apple adheres to a strict one year plan, I won't be surprised that other companies also do the same. (Samsung appears to follow a one year life cycle as well. The Galaxy S came out during summer, and we are expecting the Galaxy S2 to come out near summer time.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones