• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Tablet Help/Opinion***

CriticalCritic

Android Expert
Nov 9, 2009
Cary, NC
I'm in the market for a 10" Android tablet. Right now I am teetering back and forth between the Motorola Xoom and the Toshiba Thrive (but I am open for suggestions for other options).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the Android tablets charge via Micro USB like virtually all Android phones? This won't be a huge issue for me, but I would definitely give it weight in the plus column of any tablet that can do that.

Any thoughts on what tablet I should pick up? Any word on new stuff coming out soon? "Thanks" for any helpful feedback! :)

I'm looking at the Thrive over the Xoom for myself because of all the ports. The new Amazon android tablet coming out by October is supposed to have really good specs too but all specs are just rumour so far. Some people think the Amazon tablet will be the first real ipad competitor because it will have the content available through Amazon. Plus, they might be selling it at a very small mark-up because they want people to buy it so that they will also buy the content.

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
I'm looking at the Thrive over the Xoom for myself because of all the ports. The new Amazon android tablet coming out by October is supposed to have really good specs too but all specs are just rumour so far. Some people think the Amazon tablet will be the first real ipad competitor because it will have the content available through Amazon. Plus, they might be selling it at a very small mark-up because they want people to buy it so that they will also buy the content.
I've been watching videos and checking reviews all day long, and I think I have just pushed myself toward the Xoom due to (1) its relatively smaller overall size, (2)longer battery life (I know the Thrive has the replaceable battery, but am I really going to store that big thing nearby when i need it?), and (3) the community is much larger for the Xoom.

As for the Amazon stuff, very interesting! I hadn't heard anything about that. Any idea who the manufacturer is for this?

I have an Asus Eee Pad Transformer with keyboard dock. It is the one I recommend if you like having a physical keyboard.

As for the charging option, it does not have a micro USB port for charging. The charging cable can connect to a regular USB port, but the end that connects to the tablet or keyboard is proprietary.
I'm not really going to be utilizing a keyboard with my Tablet (I'll just sync some folders between the tablet and my laptop for that). However, is that the one with Gorilla glass? That is such a HUGE bonus when having such a big screen!

So I'm gathering that the Asus is completely proprietary (no universal power, HDMI, or USB connections)? I can live with the power cable being proprietary, but the rest of the proprietary jacks is bordering on deal breaker IMO.

Upvote 0
You might want to consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as well. It is the thinnest of all the tablets on the market. And in my humble opinion, it is also the most elegant tablet.

Its charging cable can be connected to a laptop through a USB port and it will charge the tablet. And thanks to other posters on this Android Forum, I have learned that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has gorilla glass.

I have one and I won't trade it for any other tablet. :)

Upvote 0
You might want to consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 as well. It is the thinnest of all the tablets on the market. And in my humble opinion, it is also the most elegant tablet.
Thanks. The problem is that Sammy lost my business for Android phones a little over a year ago with bad hardware, bad support, and poor business practices. And since the tablet is so close to a phone, I just don't think I can give them my $$$ in good conscience :(

Upvote 0
However, is that the one with Gorilla glass? That is such a HUGE bonus when having such a big screen!

I'm afraid I do not know the material of the display. That information is not indicated on any of the documentation that came with the device.

So I'm gathering that the Asus is completely proprietary (no universal power, HDMI, or USB connections)? I can live with the power cable being proprietary, but the rest of the proprietary jacks is bordering on deal breaker IMO.

The proprietary power cable connects to a standard USB outlet. You can charge the tablet by connecting it to a standard USB port on a PC, but you have to use the proprietary cable.

The Eee Pad comes with a mini-HDMI port. It does not come with a cable. You have to obtain your own cable, but it is standard.

The Eee Pad also comes with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack as well as a standard micro SD card slot.

The keyboard dock has 2 standard USB ports as well as a standard SD card slot. If you are not interested in a keyboard, the standard ports and extra battery pack is probably not worth the extra $150 for you.

Upvote 0
Acer Iconias have a micro usb but it doesn't charge from there. It comes with a very clunky charger. You would think they would at least try to keep the charger slim.
Well scratch that :mad: I could see it being a huge PITA to have a nice stream-lined tablet in a nice little case, then when I bring it somewhere for an extended period of time I have to (from what it sounds like) bring a separate case to carry the giant charger (when it should be something that I can just drop into my cargo pocket without noticing it).

Any other recommendations?
Anyone else know anything about this Kindle Scribe thing? I may push back my purchase and wait to see what Amazon delivers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones