• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tablet help

davefix

Lurker
Dec 2, 2020
Hi, I hope someone can help. I have recently purchased 2 Android tablets that mount onto my headrests for the car. They run Android 9. I have downloaded the Sky Go app but it won’t run on a rooted device. I get an error code of 99z I believe. I’m not very familiar with Android software so I don’t know how to fix the problem. Help!

I believe Sky Go will only run on certain approved brand name devices, e.g. Samsung. And not on any phone or tablet that's been rooted and/or modified. A few years ago when I was in the UK, I tried it on a Chinese version Oppo with my dad's Sky account, and it wouldn't have it.

If your whatever it is tablets are no-name cheapo devices, then Sky Go is probably a no go. If they are cheapo, then they might even be rooted.

Upvote 0
Hi, I hope someone can help. I have recently purchased 2 Android tablets that mount onto my headrests for the car. They run Android 9. I have downloaded the Sky Go app but it won’t run on a rooted device. I get an error code of 99z I believe. I’m not very familiar with Android software so I don’t know how to fix the problem. Help!
what devices do you have?

Attachments

• 1E525BF3-96DF-4D64-B76D-A8A572401E6E.jpeg
    1E525BF3-96DF-4D64-B76D-A8A572401E6E.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
I believe Sky Go will only run on certain approved brand name devices, e.g. Samsung. And not on any phone or tablet that's been rooted and/or modified. A few years ago when I was in the UK, I tried it on a Chinese version Oppo with my dad's Sky account, and it wouldn't have it.

If your whatever it is tablets are no-name cheapo devices, then Sky Go is probably a no go. If they are cheapo, then they might even be rooted.
Thank you. I will post a pic of the box shortly so you can see. When I try to watch something on sky it does say that the program cannot be played on a rooted device. I contacted the the company I brought them from and they said that all I need to do is update the app version but I love only just downloaded it from the play store so surely it’s the latest version?

Upvote 0
Thank you. I will post a pic of the box shortly so you can see. When I try to watch something on sky it does say that the program cannot be played on a rooted device. I contacted the the company I brought them from and they said that all I need to do is update the app version but I love only just downloaded it from the play store so surely it’s the latest version?

I suspect the company is in China, no Sky Go here. So all they did is suggest whatever they can.

Quite frankly I think you might be SOL with these tablets and Sky Go. I know it wouldn't work on a China version Oppo phone I had.

FWIW they should be able to play any videos you've downloaded, and will work with YouTube.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suspect the company is in China, no Sky Go here. So all they did is suggest whatever they can.

Quite frankly I think you might be SOL with these tablets and Sky Go. I know it wouldn't work on a China version Oppo phone I had.

FWIW they should be able to play any videos you've downloaded, and will work with YouTube.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0

As I thought, they're no-name devices from China. I'm certain Sky Go a no go on these. You may want to contact Sky customer service and enquire about it, as to what they do actually support. As for the "rooted device" error, try a Root Checker app, and see what that reports. Some no-name devices have been known to come rooted from the factory. Or it maybe that Sky Go just can't identify a maker, for their approved devices, and it's assuming it's a rooted and modified device.

Upvote 0
As I thought, they're no-name devices from China. I'm certain Sky Go a no go on these. You may want to contact Sky customer service and enquire about it, as to what they do actually support. As for the "rooted device" error, try a Root Checker app, and see what that reports. Some no-name devices have been known to come rooted from the factory. Or it maybe that Sky Go just can't identify a maker, for their approved devices, and it's assuming it's a rooted and modified device.
Ok. Thanks. I will give Sky a call and see if they can help in any way. I was hoping that there would be some super tech savvy person who could work some magic for me. Lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones