• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tablet mode vs stock

D

Deleted User

Although I do like the stock hybrid layout, I changed the dpi to try out tablet mode.

There are things I'm not so keen on (everything looks so small on screen and I prefer the stock notification pull-down) but I really like the tablet layout of some apps, such as Google Reader, BBC News, IMDB and YouTube amongst others.

Just wondering how other people are getting along with tablet mode over time.
Have you run into any problems?
Are there any known issues with any particular apps?
How do games run, does it affect them performance-wise or looks-wise (I switched back to regular layout without trying any games)?

Performance isn't affected in anything that I've seen.

Frankly, I FAR prefer the tablet layout. The notification shade on a device this large is awful, in my opinion - when I'm holding the tablet one-handed, I can actually check my notifications instead of having to go to the top of the screen. It just seems silly to have two system functions on the opposite side of each other - with the tablet UI, all the navigation functions are in one place.

The shade is great for phones, I just think the tablet UI is a lot better for anything larger than a phone.

I have no issues, other than that one of my widgets has a refresh button that sometimes takes me a couple times to hit, since it's now smaller than it was designed to be. None of my games seem to be affected at all.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
tablet mode just to switch things up. otherwise this would just be a galaxy nexus XL.

160dpi works best i read.

160dpi is a "stock" resolution that is friendly to the Google Play store. If you aren't using stock resolutions, often you'll get "this application is not compatible" messages in the Play store.

If you use something other than 160 dpi, you might have to download a custom Google Play store app.

I posted a thread in the root forum containing the custom Play apps:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-al...ogle-play-apks-those-modding-lcd-density.html

Upvote 0
Keep in mind this is on my Galaxy Nexus Phone, so the spacing isn't quite as good as it would be on the Nexus 7. It looks better on the N7.

Tablet Mode:
attachment.php

Stock/Phone/Phablet Mode
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-09-13-53-29.JPG
    Screenshot_2012-08-09-13-53-29.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_2012-08-09-13-56-05.JPG
    Screenshot_2012-08-09-13-56-05.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones