• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tablet PC really has no Flash support?!

tone67842

Lurker
Aug 5, 2011
I know Macs and PC's. Never got into Smartphones.
Thought I'd check out Android.
So I bought a Chinese Tablet PC from eBay (silly man, I'm sure you'll say).

Eken MT705 , running a Telechips 8902 processor. Android OS 2.3.3. Or at least that's what the man who sold it to me said it is.

No Adobe Flash support. Android Market tells me that 10.3 is not compatible. Adobe's website seems to think I've got an Apple product when I try there.

Device seems to have the the most up-to-date firmware/OS available.

I've since come to understand that the OS version specification is not common across all manufacturers and software compatibility is hardware dependent. (!)

Any ideas for a fix/work-around that would enable me to view Flash content embedded in html etc webpages??

Don't even mind radical software/firmware reconfigurations, if that's possible. Though I'm not even sure if I can return it to Factory Default yet.

But I don't want to spend alot of money on a device that, because of its purpose, will probably get broken or lost quite quickly.

Any ideas, anyone?

Alternatively I could use it as a picture frame. Or maybe a drinks mat.

P.S. What do the Chinese use instead of Flash for embedded internet media? Maybe I could learn Mandarin and watch their stuff instead.

An 'Internet Mobile Device' that doesn't support Flash. Really?!

Well, I'll state the obvious which is that you could've expected this with a chinese cheap tablet..

You might want to check if you REALLY have Android 2.3.3, you can look under android settings, then at "about". You should see an Android Version number there. If it's really 2.3.3 then your processor is probably not good enough and if it says something different you might have been ripped off.

Oh and you might want to check for system updates while you're there.. Not that you should get your hopes up for that :/

Upvote 0
Hi, cheers.
Yeah, the 'About Device' menu in Settings states OS 2.3.3, and the Google Updates says that it's as up-to-date as is available.
Don't know where to get in to read clock speed etc. , but it's meant to be 800 mHz
The device feels quite well-built and is good other than this issue.

It's one of those with the built-in mini USB and HDMI sockets, rather than the 30-pin adapter port.

Upvote 0
It's no secret that Flash is an absolute hog. The current HTML5 movement will fair much better down the road in regard to this, but alas, it doesn't help today. I do believe your processor not only needs to be a certain speed, but also a certain type. That may be factoring in here as well.

Upvote 0
Well, I'll state the obvious which is that you could've expected this with a chinese cheap tablet..

You might want to check if you REALLY have Android 2.3.3, you can look under android settings, then at "about". You should see an Android Version number there. If it's really 2.3.3 then your processor is probably not good enough and if it says something different you might have been ripped off.

Oh and you might want to check for system updates while you're there.. Not that you should get your hopes up for that :/
Adobe is just not working that hard to make flash available on every chip....

Upvote 0
Is the processor an armv6 or an armv7?

If its an armv6 then flash isn't supported (at least by adobe) for armv6 processors

EDIT

According to my Googling its an armv6 processor. Which means no offical flash support. There is an hacked flash apk for armv6 processors somewhere on xda, no idea how stable it is though. I'll look around for it.

EDIT #2

Here is the link for the armv6 version

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1155538

Remember its an hacked apk so your results may vary.

Upvote 0
You could try manually installing flash from an apk file instead of the market, there's links all over xda forums for downloading flash 10.2 (since its a real good version to use on cyanogen.)

edit: here's a post on xda that I d/l'ed flash 10.2 from last week
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18784114&postcount=2933

edit:

lol you'd be surprised at the billions you could make selling exactly that with the right marketing and trendy hipster following. (also if you make it super easy to use for old people and babies)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
P.S. What do the Chinese use instead of Flash for embedded internet media?

They don't, they use their tablets for playing Mahjongg....JK.

The popular Chinese video sites like Tudou and Youku have specific client applications available, same with Youtube, no Flash needed.

Maybe I could learn Mandarin and watch their stuff instead.

Good idea, AFAIK more people speak Mandarin than English in this world.

Yup Apple makes them, and they've been very successful as well.

Upvote 0
Most NEW Tablets have a updated processor which can support such features

Most NEW tablets also run Android 3 Honeycomb, not 2.3 Gingerbread, unless we are talking about these cheap Chinese tablets, which do lack features when compared to mainstream tablets like those from Samsung and Motorola.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones