1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tablet Resolution

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by turnipranger, Aug 2, 2013.

1. turnipranger

turnipranger Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2013
    Hello Android Forums,

I'm reasonably inexperienced when it comes to tablets so sorry in advance if this is a ridiculous question. I am about to purchase a 9.7" android tablet with a screen resolution of 2048 x 1536. However, having almost double the resolution of the same size Samsung tablets, will this cause a problem for games/apps that have been optimized for the lower resolutions on the more popular devices? or do they upscale to work with higher resolutions?

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Not really, as Android apps tend to ignore the resolution of the devices and get blown up to fit the screen accordingly. However the more important question would be: does the tablet have enough power under the hood to power an intense game and the resolution? One good thing the lower resolution on the Samsung tablets give is that it puts less strain on the processing power.

turnipranger likes this.
  3. turnipranger

turnipranger Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2013
    Thanks for the reply.

It seems to have a fairly decent spec. Do you think this will be suitable enough not to cause any issues?

Processor

• RK3188 quad core Arm Cortex A9 1.6ghz
    Memory
    • 2GB RAM
    • 16GB Flash
    Software
    • Operaitng System: Android 4.2.2
    • ADOBE: support 11.1
    Display

• Screen size: 9.7”
    • Screen resolution : 2048 x 1536
    • Screen Panel : IPS Retina
    Graphics

• VGA: Quad core mali 400

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

Things to consider:

1. The way you are speaking seems to say that this is an off-brand tablet, or at least one that isn't well known and is cheap. Take a look at this: http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/631594-off-brand-phones-tablets-worth-low-cost.html

2. Considering that it is of a different manufacturer, you have to wonder how has the overlying Android installed been optimized. Having a certain hardware set does not mean that it will perform as good as others with the same hardware. For example, the HTC One S had a dual core Krait SoC, but it does not have the exact same performance as an S4mini with a dual core Krait SoC as well.

3. Problems arising could be more related to build quality than resolution or Android itself. It could lead to sudden breakdowns or crashes or whatnot.

funkylogik and turnipranger like this.
  5. turnipranger

turnipranger Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2013
    Well, here's the link - Sumvision Cyclone voyager 297 Tablet PC - Tablets | Ebuyer.com - I do have a history with the brand, Sumvision, due to having a media player and a bluetooth speaker system from them. Now I am aware this is basically a cheap, direct brand from China but based on reviews on all their other products, tablets in particular, problems are resolved quickly, firmware updates issued often and they appear to have good customer service but overall people are generally happy with their purchase. Ebuyer also are a reasonably large company with history of good customer service (I have used them for about 10 years for my computer components) so I'm quite confident that if any issues to arise with the product then either party should be able to help.

I think it's just going to be a case of fingers crossed for me on this one as I got my heart set on this one and if I encounter any major problems, will just return it and grab a Samsung.

Thanks again for the advice.