1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tablet vs ipad for Visualy impaired

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cmybliss, Feb 26, 2011.

1. cmybliss

cmybliss Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    The Abarat
    Hi all,
    I've got a question for all if you who are more technology inclined than I am. I'll try to make this long story relatively brief.
    I would like to get a tablet type of computer for my 9 yr old daughter. What! You say. Put an expensive piece of equipment in a child's hand?! Normally, I would agree, but in her case, there are extenuating circumstances. You see, she has cerebral palsy and assorted other disabilities that make using a keyboard challenging. Add to this a visual impairment that forces her to work 10x harder to see printed text, which means reading is difficult for her. Now she loves to read, but, they don't make many large print books for kids her age, and let's face it, who wants to lug around the giant sized books.
    So, this brings me to my question: which tab do you all think is the best fit? It must have an easy to use u.i. It would alsi be nice if there was a handwriting recognition app, and some basic word processing capabilities. Of course, she would want to have a little fun with it too, so games and movies would be a plus. For myself, I would go with something that ran on the Android platform, (I love my Android phones) but I'm wondering if an iPad wouldn't be easier for her, not to mention provide a little more entertainment. But, not having ever owned an Apple product, it's impossible for me to make that judgement alone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    A.

Advertisement

2. Cosmos99

Cosmos99 Lurker
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    I am visually impaired and I use a Motorola DX android phone. Often I prefer magnifying text rather than audio. I use an application for reading books and magazines that will make the text as large as I need with whatever contrast I need. I would assume they will make a tablet version of the application. Application is: "Aldiko". I also recommend "Bookshare.org" which makes books and magazines available for people who are disabled (has a good selection for kids). When I get fatigued from using my lines, I convert the downloaded books from text to MP3 using an inexpensive PC-based program called "text aloud." And there is also the national Library service for the blind, and recordings for the blind and dyslexic. There are screen readers for the android system but I do not use them.