1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tablet whatcha think?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bleedGreen, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bleedGreen

bleedGreen Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Android Tablet on the Cheap: Best Buy Has Pandigital Nova for $170

Thinks it's anygood?

Advertisement

2. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Cheap tablets suck.

I have used about a half dozen of them now. Anything under $250 is inevitably a giant steaming pile of crap, and even at $250 you generally have tradeoffs.

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Moved to appropriate section.

4. rhodie469

rhodie469 Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    I was wondering about this same tab. I'm going to best buy tomorrow to see if they have one on display to try out. If so I'll let you know how it goes.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    I wonder if you looked at it, an if so, what did you think?

have a friend wanting to buy this, so true opinions would be nice.

6. Rabid1

Rabid1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    I know this is an older thread, but I just got one of these.

It is made out of high impact plastic, so it is light but gives it a kind of cheap hollow feel. But in reality it is pretty sturdy. IF pressing hard on the back of the case you can see the LCD react so it is a compact design.

The casing doesn't bug me but I can see where it would some. It uses the softer plastic, not glass, touchscreen like a PDA or MP4 player, which is slightly recessed into the case to protect it. Makes finger touch on the edged a little harder but not impossible. The nice thing about this style touch is it is much more better in sensitivity and response than a normal resistive screen. I downloade and played Triple Blade with no problems where on other resistive I have to make such deliberate pressing when switching between thumb taps. I would think if you could find a screen protector for this type it would be a good idea.

WiFi is surprisingly strong compared to other pads, no need to tweak it so far. HDMI out looks average from the home screen, great in a video.

The processor has been re-branded by Pandigital, but I have read on a couple of forums it is the Cortex A8. I think this likely as a couple different info apps detect it as the same class as my Skypad. Performance wise it is actually a little faster than the Skypad.

A lot of the negative I have read in reviews seem a little biased against this pad simply because whoever reviewed it didn't like the previous Pandigitals.

In stars I would say 4 out of 5 in comparison to your average 7" regardless of price. Features win out over design issues in this one.

3-4 out of 5 if you stay within the price range.

7. Rabid1

Rabid1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    I now have the Nova and the Supernova. Spend the extra $20 dollars and get the Supernova. Capacitive screen, Bluetooth, and the WiFi is rock solid. I like the Nova, I love the Supernova. Screen is responsive and clear, the pad has some heft to it making it feel less a toy and more like a normal solid pad.

Roots with Gingerbreak 1.2, Still no good results with Gapps. The only downside is they seem to have altered the recovery it will only recognize their signed zip.