• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tablet won't boot up/ optimizing apps/ black screen/ endless reboots

Willdorf

Lurker
Aug 14, 2016
I woke up this morning and my nVidia Shield tablet is acting funny... It booted up to a screen saying "Android is Starting" "Optimizing App xxx of 141" and when finished, reboots, and repeats. I looked at a bunch of stuff online, and I found people having this problem in relation to Lollipop, but I believe my tablet has Marshmallow. And the people also said that it just did this once every boot, not an endless cycle like mine.

So I tried the recovery/clear cache anyways, but that didn't help. I also removed my SD card and rebooted, and then put it back in and rebooted again, and now it's not doing the "optimizing app" anymore, but only the nVidia screen followed by black. Anyone had this problem?

Also, will a factory reset delete the apps I have stored on my SD card? I do have it set as an extension of my internal storage... does that mean if I do a factory reset, that everything on the SD card will be useless anyway, unable to reconnect it to the new reset factory system?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones