• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tablets vs phone what should I get?

blindman96

Feb 20, 2011
hi I live in australia and was looking for an unlocked phone/tablet or a locked phone/tablet to vodafone preferably upgradeable to android 2.3 without using ROMS.

UPDATE: decided not to get a tablet, thanks for the advice just gona get a phone, can anyone help?
UPDATE 2: gonna get the huawei ideos x3, was looking at the acer liquid e but I don't like it. thanks for all your help guys really appreciate it, this is probably my last post and my birthday is tomorrow! I'll jump on the forum every now and again to mabye help someone who's in the same position I was in. thanks guys!

I have a few questions and really need some answers. PS: I have a limit of $200 and I need this to be a prepaid phone, thanks!

(NOTE: I need a big screen, 3+ inches please as I have low vision and have trouble seeing.
Q1: Where can I find a phone for $200 or below that is upgradeable to android 2.3

Q2: looking at some phones like the huawei ideos x3 and the motorola phones they have different versions of android (gui/homescreen anyway) is there a way to revert this? eg: motoblur and some weird 3d box thing going on the huawei.

Q3: is there a special program to update the version of android, universal program/carrier specific program/phone specific program, etc?

Q3: with resistive touch screen phones, are they really that bad?

Q4: I'm use to an ipod touch 2nd generation and it running angry birds fine, I see phones with a slightly less screen size (in inches) with about the same processor speed and capabilities but unable to run the game, what's going on? (obviously I like angry birds and is a must to play on my android phone) :)

What I'll use this phone for:
facebook
texting
calls
some web surfing
games (angry birds)
youtube (flash support doesn't matter it would be nice though )
taking pictures and videos every once in a while so camera doesn't matter so much
watching big bang theory :) so I'll get a big sd card!
and I'm sure theres more but that's what I want to do with my phone.

I'll add more stuff when I think of them.

thankyou for reading and I hope you can help me out!

Well only you can truly decide but I would check out a tablet and a phone of your choice that you like. Get some hands on feel of the device you like and go from their. Search the forum and see what folks are saying about the devices you choose that way you get an idea of the pros and cons of the device.

Upvote 0
You do realize that you can't make calls on a Tablet, right? I think a lot of people have the misconception that a Tablet is a blown up phone, when in fact it's a keyboardless laptop. So if calls are pretty important, then you'll want a smartphone.

And since I have no clue what is available down under, that's all the help I can give.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Depends on the tablet.

You certainly can call and text on the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Hey, it will even take phone SIMs too. No need to cut it into a micro SIM like an iPad.

You can hold the big thing right in your ear and respond to calls with it. But if you don't want to look like Maxwell Smart, you can also use a Bluetooth headset with the Galaxy Tab to respond to calls.

Of course, its going to cost ya and it looks like at least 2x to 3x the original poster's budget.

For the requested budget, none of the cheap Chinese made tablets can make a call and are entirely wifi devices.

If you want a cheap Android at that price range that can call, you need an Android phone. Period. Highly recommended is the LG Optimus S. It comes with Android 2.2 and LG made it a policy that all their Android phones will at least get a one version bump.

Upvote 0
Isn't the desire and nexus s on vodaphone australia? If so, both the desire hd and nexus s are good phones for what you want.

Oh wait, the nexus s was announced for vodaphone Australia but isn't out yet.

But by all means you want a phone not a tablet for your needs (if I understand your needs correctly).

Upvote 0
Oh damn sorry I'm reading the vodaphone Australia website which sort of confuses me. 200 unlocked - is vodaphone gdsm or CDMA?

Your best bet is eBay or a local auction / buying website becaue most new unlocked from the vodaphone website that are android are expensive.

So I think the best way to proceed is to link me to potential phones in your price range and then I can help make a recommendation after that.

Upvote 0
You do realize that you can't make calls on a Tablet, right? I think a lot of people have the misconception that a Tablet is a blown up phone, when in fact it's a keyboardless laptop. So if calls are pretty important, then you'll want a smartphone.

And since I have no clue what is available down under, that's all the help I can give.

Cheers

Thats not true, the Samsung tablets in the UK (possibly all of Europe) are capable of making phone calls.

Upvote 0
thankyou for reading and I hope you can help me out!

Q1: most likely you can't. All handsets that have a 2.3 update already announced are high-end ones. And your best chance to get one of those for the 200 bucks pricetag is on contract, leaving unlocked phones out of the equation.

Q2: again, most likely not without rooting, which given your budget is unadvisable (warranty voided)

Q3: they aren't bad per se (HTC used to make quite good ones) but they're obviously less responsive (yoy have to actually press the screen) and multitouch is phisically impossible (so forget about pinch-to-zoom)

Q4: It's not just about processor speed and specs. No to mention there are still a few Android 1.5 handsets around. Check the reviews in the Android Marketplace via PC, you usually will be able to tell if a phone will run it or not.

My advice? get a Nexus One on contract (i know, i know, contracts are no good...). You'll meet the initial budget, Android 2.3 for it is already in the works, and Angry Birds is proven to work flawlessly on it. Just make sure that the carrier you choose is the right one for you. You see, what you described is a high-end phone (you even ask for a hefty SD card!). you simply won't get that unlocked for a 200$ price. Not without a contract. So either you scale down your wishlist or prepare for some monthly fees.

Upvote 0
Q1: most likely you can't. All handsets that have a 2.3 update already announced are high-end ones. And your best chance to get one of those for the 200 bucks pricetag is on contract, leaving unlocked phones out of the equation.

Q2: again, most likely not without rooting, which given your budget is unadvisable (warranty voided)

Q3: they aren't bad per se (HTC used to make quite good ones) but they're obviously less responsive (yoy have to actually press the screen) and multitouch is phisically impossible (so forget about pinch-to-zoom)

Q4: It's not just about processor speed and specs. No to mention there are still a few Android 1.5 handsets around. Check the reviews in the Android Marketplace via PC, you usually will be able to tell if a phone will run it or not.

My advice? get a Nexus One on contract (i know, i know, contracts are no good...). You'll meet the initial budget, Android 2.3 for it is already in the works, and Angry Birds is proven to work flawlessly on it. Just make sure that the carrier you choose is the right one for you. You see, what you described is a high-end phone (you even ask for a hefty SD card!). you simply won't get that unlocked for a 200$ price. Not without a contract. So either you scale down your wishlist or prepare for some monthly fees.

ok, thanks for the input can you show me some good contract phones for my budget?
also the ideos x3 is supposadly 2.3 and sub 200 bucks but not out for a little whiel :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones