• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tablets: Wi-Fi vs. 3G/4G models

I think the problem with many Android tablets is that they don't have easily available Wi-Fi only models on the good Honeycomb ones. Sure, us savvy users can get a hold of an Asus Transformer, but the average shopper mostly sees Android tablets sold on-contract with an overpriced data plan through a wireless carrier. Buying these tablets off-contract is usually insanely expensive. Even I, who will want mobile broadband once-in-awhile found out that it's more economical to purchase an Asus Transformer and tether it to my Samsung EPIC via Sprint Mobile Hotspot than buy a 4G-capable tablet on-contract with a service plan.

Well, my Transformer should be arriving on Friday. I'll be asking for the laptop dock for Christmas, though. I already spent a pretty penny just buying the tablet itself.

I think Android tablet makers need to Wi-Fi only tablets more well known. The only Wi-Fi only Honeycomb tablets I know of are the Asus Transformer, and Acer tablet, and the Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi only model. The Acer isn't bad, and is only $50 than the Transformer; but it's heaviness threw me off. I'm also trying to save every penny I can.

Idk if the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will have a Wi-Fi only model. I know it took forever for one of the original Galaxy Tab to come out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones