1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Take a portion of a website and include it in app

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by wadey, Jan 9, 2012.

1. wadey

wadey Newbie
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Financial Controller
    Southampton, UK
    Good morning all

Is there a way to isolate just a portion of a website and feed this into an app?

For example, I'm looking to develop an app for my rugby club, I want the league to show up, but rather than direct to the RFU site, can I catch just the table itself? Here's the website to help clarify matters:

MatchByDivision

Ta!

Advertisement

2. wadey

wadey Newbie
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Financial Controller
    Southampton, UK
    Oh, you will need to click "league table" in the top right

3. Lemoncog

Lemoncog Newbie
    None

Isolating html is difficult. Usually if you were developing this kind of application you would work with the people who provide the information to that website, and directly access there information by means of an API.

What your trying to do here is access information that the website has already parsed. Its adding an extra level of complexity and means your application will rely on that website to stay the same and be accessibly. Not to mention that site owner might be annoyed with you effectively stealing his content.

Ideally you would want to discuss your application idea with the people who provide the Rugy data and gain access to there API.

However if that is not an option you can look into using a HTML parser/cleamer such as Jsoup, found at jsoup Java HTML Parser, with best of DOM, CSS, and jquery .

With this you could parse and read the html and isolate the area that has the table, but its going to be very slow to parse and fiddle to extract data from.