• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Taken a dip...

yakyak

Lurker
Aug 4, 2010
My wife managed to submerge her HTC Hero in water. I quickly removed the battery and tried to dry the phone as best as I could. I dried the phone carefully with a hairdryer, as we were in a hotel at the time and didn't have much else.

I kept the phone off and when we got back put it in some rice in a sealed bag for a day or so. Putting the battery back in the phone boots up as normal and calls can be made etc.

The phone then starts to behave quite oddly. The screen doesn't always unlock, and its often not possible to actualy make a specific selection on the screen. If I leave the phone for a while it then returns to normal operation.

Is it worth me taking the phone apart to see if there is anything that can be ceaned inside, or has something been permanentley damaged in the phone?

I think I have some alcohol for cleaning PC parts, could this be used to clean inside the phone?

Thanks for any advice!

I know you probably didn't have much choice, but I don't think a hairdryer was a good call; the heat won't have done it any favours. (Warped parts, melted adhesive, corrosion etc).

If you're no longer covered by insurance/warranty then cleaning it might work, although obviously there's no way to tell what needs cleaning or if it's fixable. I'd do that and then a factory reset just for good measure (in case something go screwed up when it still had the battery in).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones