• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Takeover: Files by Google default media

thetalk

Lurker
Sep 25, 2020
Hello,
I just got my Moto g7 power a couple of days ago. I see that when I'm in my app drawer, there is a file manager called "Files", but I can't access it. There is another "Files" by Google also. That one seems to be taking over, and uses itself to play my mp3 files. Yes, it's weird, the "files" app is a media player too, and I've confirmed that by shutting down the files app, and the music stops.
I've added a different media player, and reset the preferences, and it says "No defaults set" under "Other defaults". I don't know why I can't set my own default media player. Please help if you know the secret! Thank you.
Thetalk

Oh my gosh, I just answered my own question! If you disable the "Files by Google" app, and ignore the doom and gloom warnings it gives you about doing so, And then installing a simple file manager app from the play store, then all is well. Hope this can help someone else with the same or similar question.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones