• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Taking the plunge....

i have 2.2.1.. i checked in the install folder and meanrom isnt there.. and for some reason im not seeing my phone as docked with my pc.. do i fist have to hit " mount" in recovery for my pc to see my phone?

Yes, you do have to hit mount in recovery and put the rom onto your phone.

a popup comes up like when you plug in a thumbdrive, you choose to browse, go to your dl folder and get the rom and drag and drop it to the drive that shows up on your pc as the phone, right onto the drive, it should popup and show the progress as it is being added to the folder.

Then unmount it. and continue as above.

Upvote 0
i have 2.2.1.. i checked in the install folder and meanrom isnt there.. and for some reason im not seeing my phone as docked with my pc.. do i fist have to hit " mount" in recovery for my pc to see my phone?

In the mount menu i have:

[ ] mount system
[ ] mount data
[x]unmount cache
[x]unmount sd card [x] unmount internal

[x] use external sd [ ] use internal storage

{ Mount usb storage }

click on 'use internal storage' it is a LOT quicker.

Upvote 0
not the twrp folder necessarily, just onto that drive where its at.

Correct, the TWRP folder is just where the recovery chooses to put its nandroids.

You want to put it on what is known as the "root" of the Sd card. The root of the SD card means not in any subfolders, just on the SD card itself.

This isnt required but makse the ROM much easier to find in recovery

in my understanding, you took the ota so you have the latest kernel already. the rom is based on or incorporates the ota as well...

until we have some custom kernels you want to flash, or you flash jb, the kernel you have should be the one you need.

so you should just be able to flash the rom in recovery and be good to go.

Correct. Roms almost always come with the stock HTC kernel. If not, they always say what kernel they are using in the OP.

Because of this, you dont need to fastboot flash the kernel. You would just be replacing it with itself. (We will lose any changes the dev has made to the boot.img (if any), but this is a minor inconvenience for right now)

Upvote 0
Many of the things in the changelog and feature list are already baked into the ROM and operating behind the scenes. Theres nothing to do for more of it.

The things you can change are all explained in post #3

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM] Aug-17 MeanROM ICS v3.1 | 1.22.651.3 | 1.5-1.9 Ghz | Mods | Batt saver

If you are looking for something that offers more user tweaks, Venom4G is the ROM to go with there.
[ROM] 7/30 Team Venom presents: Viper4G 1.0.0 - The most innovative Sense Rom ever! - xda-developers

If you want to try some JellyBean AOSP goodness (HTC sense weighing the phone down :p) you can flash CM10. If you do this you will need to fastboot flash the boot.img, so let me know if you want to try that out.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I would like to do this. The Jelly Bean ROM, I mean. I can do the others with ease. Instructions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.
First reset wallet if you use it.

If you are hboot 1.15 you have to fastboot flash the kernel or the ROM won't boot.
If you are S-OFF, just flash the ROM & gapps file from recovery

Go here to download the latest ROM and GAPPS (both at the top)
freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

Then I'll refer you here on how to do the fastboot flash of the boot.img(which contains the kernel)
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/605302-taking-plunge.html#post4850631

After you've pushed the kernel via fastboot boot into recovery, wipe, and flash the ROM like you normally would. Then flash the gapps file which contains the google play store and other google apps.

Just that extra step of getting the right kernel on the device and flashing the gapps file

If you are S-OFF, just flash the ROM & gapps file from recovery

Its looking like I'm going to need to write a guide for this

Reactions: windsorclarenc
Upvote 0
Many of the things in the changelog and feature list are already baked into the ROM and operating behind the scenes. Theres nothing to do for more of it.

The things you can change are all explained in post #3

xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM] Aug-17 MeanROM ICS v3.1 | 1.22.651.3 | 1.5-1.9 Ghz | Mods | Batt saver

Interesting.. in the changlog it says there is something that makes so that the screen stays off when you recieve a txt.. but mine lights up every time. In es file exp>meanROM> there are " options" they look like.. what do i need to do to activate them? flash them? i tried goo manager but it force closes ever time i try and use it

**EDIT** OK i figured it out. What you need to do is boot into recovery and then go to install>meanrom>rosiefiles> then flash the one you want then go back to boot>system and then it will upgrade.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
If you are looking for something that offers more user tweaks, Venom4G is the ROM to go with there.
[ROM] 7/30 Team Venom presents: Viper4G 1.0.0 - The most innovative Sense Rom ever! - xda-developers

If you want to try some JellyBean AOSP goodness (HTC sense weighing the phone down :p) you can flash CM10. If you do this you will need to fastboot flash the boot.img, so let me know if you want to try that out.[/QUOTE]

Great.. this is all your fault ya know.. now ill be changing roms daily. lol. Funny how things progress so rapidly. Im two days in and im already hooked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones