• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Talk Me Into (Or Out Of) A Droid Eris

Apollos

Dec 1, 2009
I am currently a thoroughly dissatisfied AT&T subscriber. While I love the iPhone 3GS, all the great things it does are useless on the crappy network. So I want to switch back to VZW.

I know the Passion/Dragon/Whatever is coming out in a few months, maybe sooner, who knows, but I think I want to switch now.

So I know the Eris is going to run slower than my iPhone...but how much slower and is it going to drive me nuts? I reeeeally despise sluggishness in any phone which is why I got the 3GS in the first place. I briefly had a 3G beforehand and it was pretty slow IMO.

So...tell me why or why not. TIA!

if u keep your iphone mentality you will have a VERY fast phone :)
one app at a time and life should be good lol :)
seriously...the eris for me has been VERY fast!
a thread was just closed where alot of people were talking about it being sluggish though, i have not experience that.
i`ve had it for a month, and i know i tweaked the hell out it (i come from windows mobile) and i cannot complain about speed.
though....the passion talk is heating up and the new htc roadmap for 2010 looks GOOD!
i know i have one more upgrade in my family i can use to get another device (even though im waiting until late 2010 to do so) if i were you, i would wait at least until the end of january. if nothing is out better (which i couldnt see) then i would definitely go with the eris. its everything my windows mobile phone should have been and more!
it will eat the iphones lunch also!
its significantly more advanced than the iphone. the iphone does has a richer UI in my opinion...but thats it. the eris is light years more advanced than the iphone. and if its something the iphone can do that the eris cant...someone can just go into the source code and MAKE it so!
so, that alone makes it way better than the iphone (and windows mobile for that matter). i know one thing, regardless to what phone comes out later on...i know my next phone will be android based.
hope this helps a little :)

Upvote 0
If you thought the 3G was slow, then based on my experience, you'll find the Eris a bit slow as well. I switched from a 3G to the Eris, and though honestly I think the Eris is a little faster, it's not by much (and that improvement was probably just a brand new phone being faster than one I've been abusing for a year and a half)... but the Eris certainly was not challenging my buddy's 3GS in terms of processing speed when we ran some (VERY) unscientific side-by-side tests. (Eris performed well, but the 3Gs was just quicker all-around.)

With that said, it sounds like you're reaching the breaking point I was... I could not put up with one more dropped/failed call, one more time of sitting there waiting for a web page to load for minutes on end, even though my phone was claiming full 3G service, one more text message getting delivered four hours after it was sent... Jesus that network pissed me off. And the thought of being stuck with them for another year... /shudders.

I don't know, man. My advice would be to head to your local VZW store and play around with both the Eris and the Droid. That's how I made my decision, and I'm still pretty thrilled that I walked out of there with the Eris.... maybe you'll want to wait until they release the update this Friday (for the Eris) to have a better idea of what you're comparing.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
The determination I am trying to make is whether the Eris is really a "business" phone or not. My primary concerns are:
Its function as a phone - no dropped calls, bad sound, etc.

Outlook integration - I know HTC has a synch program but it doesn't do tasks and notes - well, I use both of those extensively.

Apps, browsing, multi-media, etc are OK, but a distance second. I may not love my BB Pearl, but it works. Seamless integration with outlook calendar, email, tasks and notes.

Thanks,
Roger

Upvote 0
I would do what the others said...go to a store. But make it a corporate store..big difference from my local authorized retailer. They had the Droid and the eris side by side all set to go...and you could just go back and forth and really get a feel for both phones....and the eris won for me..but thats me. If your coming from an iPhone I wouldn't even consider any device other than the Droid or eris on their network right now.

Upvote 0
The determination I am trying to make is whether the Eris is really a "business" phone or not. My primary concerns are:
Its function as a phone - no dropped calls, bad sound, etc.

Outlook integration - I know HTC has a synch program but it doesn't do tasks and notes - well, I use both of those extensively.

Apps, browsing, multi-media, etc are OK, but a distance second. I may not love my BB Pearl, but it works. Seamless integration with outlook calendar, email, tasks and notes.

Thanks,
Roger
Then you should stick with BB. It performs the two tasks most important to you very well.

Upvote 0
Blackberrys are for buisness, Eris is for fun.

I hate blackberry's because they're boring and make me feel as if i worked for 9-5 desk job.

The Blackberry has better snycing with outlook, and be more effecient for what you do as a buisness person. The Eris is more free, and more "fun" as I like to call it. I have a small production company and do film stuff. To me, the Eris is more suited to my style.

I use Astrid to manage all my tasks, and my google calander syncs right up with my Calander App. so im fine with managing my "buisness"

Upvote 0
I wiped my 3GS this morning with the intentions of putting it on ebay after work today. I bought myself a Droid Eris this weekend and honestly, while the phone is slower in terms of processing power, I really like the abilities of the Eris better. I was just sick of how limited my iPhone was even running it jailbroken. The only problem I'm having now is keeping myself from flipping back to the Moto Droid (I had one for a week and hated the slider keyboard but love everything else).

I really don't miss my iPhone all that much to be honest.

Upvote 0
I have wanted and wanted an iPhone forever, my small town country area has never been able to get ATT, so I never have. I used a BB for the past year, truly loved it and was set to get another...still wanting iPhone...I decided to take a chance on an Eris (didn't care for the Moto for some reason...physically), figured I could return the Droid for a BB and quenched my thrist....
Well, 9 days in with the Eris and I am still in awe!
I'm not a gamer, do simple business tasks, minimal texting, minimal surfing on a phone...The Eris is just too cool. I love finding out things more and more each day, seeing what it can do, what I want to change, setup, etc. It keeps me entertained, not with the apps, but finding apps I think I want:>)
Not sure if I will still long for an iPhone down the road when and if they become available on Verizon, but for now I'm pretty happy. Biggest reason is I am changing over to Apples at work and home this year, so an iPhone would make th emost sense there. But really, what do I need a phone to do? This thingi s pure fun for me and I deserve that as an old man!
SOmetimes a little laggy, but then I think heck my PC is laggy as well and this thing is just a phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones