• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Talk this iPhone user into a Galaxy S3 (or vice-versa)

I really am regretting getting the s3. its slow, gets hot fast, the radio is HORRIBLE and gets no signal most of the time, and the UI sucks. Im selling this phone and getting something else, i am staying away from android because if the flagship sucks this bad, i dont want anything to do with the OS

I'm sorry you are having such a bad experience with your phone. Many people are not having the same sort of problems you are having however, so it's a little unfair to dismiss the entire OS based on a single experience.

A phone will get hot when it runs it's processor at top speed all the time with all the radio and services on, especially when it's got a weak signal. However, your description seems extreme and it could be possible there is something wrong with the hardware. I would seriously consider replacing it under warranty.

Upvote 0
Can someone please tell me two things.
1. Is jelly bean available for the S3?
2. Project butter; is this the same as Jelly Bean or is this a seprate update and is this available yet?

Damn, I'm confused!

Jelly Bean is not yet released officially for the S3. I believe there are some JB based ROMs out there but not positive. JB has been rumored to be released for the device soon but it will likely take longer depending on which carrier you have.

Project butter is essentially the name Google gave its fluid UI. It was a team thats goal was to make the UI super smooth and fluid with transitions, etc.

Upvote 0
I think it's impossible to talk people into buying it as iOS and Android are wildly different experiences. People who like Android often don't like iOS, and vice versa, because they take almost opposite approaches at how an OS should work.

For me, as soon as I saw the keynote I was sold on getting it as I had the Galaxy S2, and the S3 looked like a pretty big update. I'm a bit of a power user and prefer the Android way. Customisation is important to me.

Something not mentioned in the iPhone v Android debate is that of status.

Owning (and displaying!) an iPhone is a mark of status. It's distinctive and says 'this person can afford a top priced Apple product - they have arrived!'. The iPhone is seen in TV and movies and depicted as the epitome of cool and success. No matter how great the S3 is it does not have that cach

Upvote 0
Owning (and displaying!) an iPhone is a mark of status. It's distinctive and says 'this person can afford a top priced Apple product - they have arrived!'. The iPhone is seen in TV and movies and depicted as the epitome of cool and success.

I think this is a good point, but I also think this is changing rapidly. Unless Apple blasts out with a huge iPhone 5 technology jump, the fact is that everyone's uncle has an iPhone now if they want it. You can get an 8 gb iPhone 4 for $99. Having an iPhone doesn't differentiate in the way it used to.

Upvote 0
Something not mentioned in the iPhone v Android debate is that of status.

Owning (and displaying!) an iPhone is a mark of status. It's distinctive and says 'this person can afford a top priced Apple product - they have arrived!'. The iPhone is seen in TV and movies and depicted as the epitome of cool and success. No matter how great the S3 is it does not have that cach

Upvote 0
I really am regretting getting the s3. its slow, gets hot fast, the radio is HORRIBLE and gets no signal most of the time, and the UI sucks. Im selling this phone and getting something else, i am staying away from android because if the flagship sucks this bad, i dont want anything to do with the OS

you sir have a faulty unit, or a rouge app causing problems in the background...but you've obviously made up your mind...so good luck in your other adventures

Wow, $200 with contract... just like every other phone.

completely missing the point...its a PERCEIVED exclusivity

I've never seen that other than from what people say on the Internet.

I'm a little skeptical that a phone which can be gotten for free on a contract for the same price as phones that are cheaper to buy outright could ever be a sign of status when they're so accessible.

The initial iPhone may have been more of a status symbol, at least in the UK, as it cost

Upvote 0
Ok invested in the apple ecosystem whithout much reason to change? How about this. We know for a fact apple has and may still use slave or sweatshop labor. Apple patents and copyrights anything they can think of to prevent competition and growth/diversity of the industry. Apple starts frivolous lawsuits with other companies over hardware and software patents. Most presently they sued Samsung because apparently the screen size, shape and thickness of the phone was too similar to the iPhones. They also sued Samsung for using double tap zoom, pinch to zoom and bubble scroll. Many of these functions are standard on smartphones today. Intact the makers of tomagchi have every legal right in this country or any other to Sue apple, Samsung, Motorola or Nokia. They own and created touch screen technology. They don't Sue because they know its a huge dick move and would only impede technological progress. Drop the villain and join the A-team.

Upvote 0
Ok invested in the apple ecosystem whithout much reason to change? How about this. We know for a fact apple has and may still use slave or sweatshop labor. Apple patents and copyrights anything they can think of to prevent competition and growth/diversity of the industry. Apple starts frivolous lawsuits with other companies over hardware and software patents. Most presently they sued Samsung because apparently the screen size, shape and thickness of the phone was too similar to the iPhones. They also sued Samsung for using double tap zoom, pinch to zoom and bubble scroll. Many of these functions are standard on smartphones today. Intact the makers of tomagchi have every legal right in this country or any other to Sue apple, Samsung, Motorola or Nokia. They own and created touch screen technology. They don't Sue because they know its a huge dick move and would only impede technological progress. Drop the villain and join the A-team.

you could look at it that way...but its sure not going to make me get rid of my MacBook Pro or my iPad...

you couldn't PAY me to replace either with a Windows/Android counterpart

Upvote 0
Guys, remember that you can express your opinions, but saying others' opinions are wrong because they don't agree with yours is not the way to foster a good conversation.

We're now getting into tablet and notebook conversation. This is off topic. The OP is asking about the strengths and weaknesses of the Galaxy S3 vs the current generation of iPhone. Let's keep it like that, OK? Thanks!

PS: I've deleted a few posts. Partially because the images they were using to debate the topic were taken down from the host site due to hotlinking. Partially because they're well off topic. Thanks for understanding!

Upvote 0
One thing to remember is that more Android apps are free or are cheaper than their IPhone counterparts. So this should be easier to make the switch cost wise. And for those apps you have paid for that are on both Apple and Android you may be able to write the developer and ask them to move the license for you (Can't hurt).

Another thing just because you have an app for your IPhone, the same app on Android may not be the best one. There are often several apps that do similar functions so before buying tons of new apps, do your research.

Also remember that accessories for Android tend to be cheaper as they use industry standard cables and there are more Android phones on the market so the competition is higher. So you will have more and cheaper options available to you accessory-wise with an Android phone. You can often buy 2 Android chargers for the price of 1 IPhone charger for example.

If you have less than 20,000 songs you can use Google Music to keep all your songs for free, no more monthly fees for cloud service. Actually if you don't mind you can create additional GMail email addresses which will each give you 20,000 song capacity for free.

If you do a lot of air traveling you can pick up a second battery for your phone and switch them out for twice the run time.

Upvote 0
I got my iPhone 2 years ago, upgrading from a Nokia 5800 which at the time I thought was a brilliant phone, in fact I still use it for incoming calls. The iPhone then became my favourite phone apart from the quiet ring tone. I told everyone nothing could touch it having had a couple of early android phones. Then this year I went window shopping and fell in love with the Samsung Galaxy 3, I have since purchased 2 other top end android phones and a tablet. The Samsung s3 is my all round favourite.

If you swap to the Samsung S3 you won't be disappointed and moving your contacts, pictures etc. is pretty easy if you use cloud backup. I used Photo stream and Drop box for my thousands of photo's and Google sync for contacts.

The larger screen makes a big difference to ease of use, viewing pictures and videos, only downside is if you like to carry your phone in front pocket, it won't fit.

Upvote 0

that's not good... Its either defective,there was some major tampering going on, or its not an S3 lol. Keep in mind even Apple has defective units off the shelf.

Upvote 0
the iPhone is above and beyond the hip, in gadget to have...if you don't see this you're either A. Blind B. in denial over Android being "better" or C. Blind

This statement is may be true where you live but things are different where I live in NYC. Everyone here that wants an iPhone, has one. It's as common as driving a Toyota or Honda. All that makes it is popular. Popular does not equal hip or the in thing to have. When people take out their smartphones out here, you almost expect it to be an iPhone. It impresses no one.

If anything, the S3 is the phone people seem to covet in this city. I've had Android phones for a few years now. Never once did anyone come up to me to ask me about any of them, until the S3. On three separate occasions I've had complete strangers ask me about the device. Two were iPhone users, one was someone thinking about buying his first smartphone.

But the thing that I absolutely love is how many iPhone users on a crowded train are staring at my screen instead of their own. This happens almost daily. Whether I'm watching a movie, viewing an e-comic book, or playing games there are always other eyes on my device. It's funny when I lift my head up and see 3-4 people quickly look away and pretend to stare at their own smartphone screens. In fact, this morning, I wasn't doing anything special, just swiping through home screens but this was enough to interest the iPhone user next to me (likely because of my awesome Ocean HD LWP).

I'm not saying that these people are going to rush out and buy an S3 or that one is better than the other. But one thing I do know is that people covet what they see and I don't see anyone peaking at someone's iPhone here. Again, this may be different where you live, but where I live the iPhone is just another phone. Probably been that way for about a year now.

Upvote 0
bought the S3, had it for 2 weeks then returned, here's why

1. poor radio, in places I knew I had decent service and was browsing the net on my iPhone, I could not on the S3, kept saying no data connection, I always get caught at a railroad crossing each morning for a good 2-3 minutes and usually jump on the iphone while waiting and hit some forums quick, the S3, I never could in this same spot, would have 1-2 bars 3g and data always failed

2. wifi was not as strong as my iPhone, at work and home i always seemd to have 1 bar less of wifi on the s3 and it was slower browsing

3. everything needs an app to make it work the way you want, for example, why the hell are all the notifications not linked to one volume, On the rocker, if I lower my ringer, my notifications are still loud, this is stupid, obviously if I want to lower my ringer to be silent, why would I want my notification to blast away, really bad if you're in a meeting, of course there are apps to link the volumes but again, why?

4. screen goes dim after a certain time, not off, just a little dim just like the iPhone , on the iPhone a tap of the screen just brightens it but on the S3, the tap of the screen brightens it AND activates whatever you tapped so if I am listening to a song and tap the screen to make it bright again, the song changes because I tapped a different song not being able to really see whats on the screen in the light when the screen dims 50%

this is after owning 2 s3's because I thought some issues were with the phone I had so I got a replacement and the wifi did improve a little, but still slower

BUT, with all that said, If the iPhone 5 doesnt wow me, I am seriously considering re-purchasing the S3 because even with those little issues which are personal complaints, the phone still is pretty sick, I just wanna see what apple will bring to the table in 2 weeks. I am not a fanboy of the iPhone and have been looking to get away from it cause it is getting boring, just havent found a device that works with no issues like it

Upvote 0
For item # 1 make sure you've updated all your towers.

For item #2 you can turn off reduced power wi-fi or whatever it's called. Will strengthen it up.

As for your item # 3. I definitely prefer different volumes for ringer, notification, media and system sounds so that I can independently control them. If I want to silence them all I do it within the notifications up top which shuts them all off at once (Mute or vibrate only).

If you want to wake up the phone from the dimness in item #4 then just slide your finger lightly so it doesn't register a tap.

Hope these help.

Upvote 0
1. yeah, tried the towers on both s3's no luck, buddy I work with has the s3 too, same issue even at work yet my phone and 6 other guys droid phones all are fine, its only the s3 :(

2. yes, I was starting to do that and get into the habit but brought it back

3. thats cool to keep them separated but mayb they should have a setting where when i use the actual rocker, it lowers "ALL" sounds

Upvote 0
It's accepted, in the world of photography, that no one should say "this camera is best"... the features that one user values might mean nothing to another, and the camera which feels right and intuitive to me might feel awkward to you.

So it is with phones. I would never try to persuade you that phone X is better than phone Y. They might have their differences, and we could discuss this, but you need to decide what matters to you and make your own, informed, choice.

Upvote 0
Read the title and I was like thats easy...

Iphone 5 according to new reports will not contain NFC

Done.

I'm still trying to decide what I could use NFC for. For profile changes I use Quick Profile Pro, which gives me a 1x1 widget button that allows me to select any profile I've defined. I could use NFC on London's underground, except that it's proved to be too slow and, anyway, why would I swipe a

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones