1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support talk to text duplication on my RCA tablet

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by waltc, May 11, 2016.

1. waltc

waltc Lurker
    None

May 11, 2016
    I purchased a tablet so that I may be able to write a book however when I go into WPS since I got the tablet the damn thing constantly duplicates and it's aggravating dramatic grammatically correcting and deleting I almost should just type it

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Chinese tablet(despite the RCA brand) with a Chinese office suite, may work better if you dictated to the thing in Mandarin. :thumbsupdroid:

...although what actual voice recognition input are you using, Google or something else, and quite importantly what microphone? If you're using the tablet's built in-mic, that likely isn't very good and can't pick-up your voice clearly, a good quality headset would be better.

#2 mikedt, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I have yet to see a Voice to Text program that works worth a damn, including the professional ones being used in the doctor's offices.

I have tried a few of them, and all of them are fraught with errors and it takes more time to go back and keep correcting them, than it does to just sit down and use a keyboard.

I have read a lot of books on my Kindle ebook reader that were obviously written using a speech to text translator, and even though the author "seemed to" have a good story line, I just delete the book and move on. I will not put up with grammatical errors like that.

IMO, it is extremely difficult to maintain a full grammatically correct paragraph using those things. In speech, we drift around a lot, back and forth, whereas if we are writing with a keyboard our brains seem to do a much better job of keeping things all straight.

Dragon Naturally Speaking seems to be used a lot, the free version never satisfied me.
    I can't afford the Pro version.
    but of course, those are PC programs that I am familiar with.

Just did a search for "Android" and it seems that Dragon is making a presence in the arena also.

Have you tried this app yet? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.balerion&hl=en

The reviews on it are mixed. But here again, all of those programs have "to learn you" and your speech patterns. I have a strange mix of Texas/New Mexico/Arizona/Oklahoma that us local yokels just call "TexMexOkie" speek.
    Have not found a Voice to Text that can follow me worth a darn.

This Review of translation apps http://bestandroidapps.com/best-speech-to-text-apps-for-android/ seems to prefer Google Keyboard as a replacement for the stock keyboard, as it contains its' own voice to text software.

I can tell you though, that using Google Microphone to find things is both good and bad for me.
    It does the strangest things sometime.... and I have to delete a whole sentence and give up, and just type it out.... because once the translator gets buried "in a train of thought" it will not correct the direction it is going. It insists on going "it's own way"

mikedt likes this.
  4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    this tablet that you bought, does it have a Very Fast CPU, and a LOT of memory/RAM in it?

if it doesn't, it won't do a very good job for you.