1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Target released Black Friday ad, Kyocera Hydro Vibe on sale for $30

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FattyAcidTrip, Nov 11, 2014.

1. FattyAcidTrip

FattyAcidTrip Newbie

[​IMG][​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. phenomx4

phenomx4 Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Nice deal. Too bad I can't get it. Also looks like it may be locked down.

3. armymartinez

armymartinez Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is a 4G phone. Great deal if you need a phone, but for those of us grandfathered, the Awe appears to be the summit.

4. starkraving

starkraving Android Expert

Kyocera loves locked boot loaders.

5. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

Yeah they have several virgin branded devices with locked boot loader. I avoid Kyocera devices unless there is definite development already active. No development to be found...no buying lol

6. FattyAcidTrip

FattyAcidTrip Newbie

I understand, but there was no development for the ZTE Awe until a bunch of people got the phone because it was dirt cheap. Mine and my girlfriends reboot so much with normal use we are eager to replace it with something more stable, but you guys do have me concerned about the locked bootloader though.

7. thegoogleman

thegoogleman Well-Known Member

At Best Buy on black Friday the LG Realm will be sold for $20 without contract. This is the cheapest phone I have found so far.

FattyAcidTrip likes this.
  8. devilschild26

devilschild26 Android Expert

Bootloader is locked no development for this device I look into months ago plus the brand is no good almost buy one cuz the screen is big

9. Curtis1973

If not for the boot loader it would be a prime device. But I have dealt with Kyocera devices before from virgin mobile. They are the oldest device supplier virgin mobile has done business with since the beginning. They if asked by virgin,would lock the boot loader without hesitation and would not ever go back on that agreement with virgin. Now that does not mean that it still couldnt be tinkered with by the right developer and still unlocked but highly unlikely due to cost and the effort involved in unlocking. It is over all a very nice device. But that locked boot loader for folks like us is not a good buy. The device currently has root,but no way to do a backup in case anything goes wrong. And from reading their forums here on af,there have been many soft bricks due to not having a working recovery and apps being removed from system that looped the device or someone trying to edit things bricked it.

10. starkraving

Yeah typically devices like that will need a bootstrap/hijack recovery. Was one of the first and most irritating issues we original Droid X owners faced back in the day. But luckily for us Koush supported the device. That being said even with a bootstrap you are limited. Locked boot loaders and development just don't mix.

11. Curtis1973

I maybe incorrect,but I was under the impression there were rules if you wiil,in place by google that meant the system had to be open for development. That if requested the manufacturer was supposed to supply info needed so developers could move forward. Meaning access to boot loader source...pretty much everything. If this is the case,it seems some dont care what google wants lol.

12. starkraving

Idk if you remember the "Free moto" movement a few years ago but we had to petition them to unlock the bootloader. They're only required to release the source for the kernel. So its a gray area.

13. thegoogleman

thegoogleman Well-Known Member

The Verizon Moto G is available for $40,which is a great deal, but I am afraid the bootloader is locked.

14. devilschild26

devilschild26 Android Expert

Ur saying the awe reboots I never once experience that nor freeze ups

15. saidiadude

saidiadude Well-Known Member

I have a few of these phones for the family. Everyone one of them had started rebooting at least once a week on the "L" Awe 2.5 Final. I finally tried this on one of the phones: http://androidforums.com/threads/possible-overheating-fix.873341/
    No more rebooting! I performed the "surgery" on all the phones and every one has stopped rebooting. I did mod the back cover a bit as well. I'll post the mod in the thread mentioned.

#16 saidiadude, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    devilschild26 likes this.

ZTE Awe Forum

The ZTE Awe release date was Q2 2007. Features and Specs include a 4.13" inch screen, 0.1MP camera, 128GB RAM, and processor.

Q2 2007
Release Date
Reviews