1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Task Killer? Are they needed?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HeavyArms504, Feb 24, 2011.

1. HeavyArms504

HeavyArms504 Newbie

Ok guys, kinda new to android, and i have the inspire, love it. But i have a question, some people tell me that an advanced task killer is needed, some say its a waste, what are your guy's opinion, do i need one, or are they useless with androud 2.2?

Advertisement

2. useless with 2.2 as it has been optimized by google to kill apps and manage battery better, which gets even more streamlined in gingerbread

3. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

ATK does more harm than good on ver 2.2 or above.

4. dylando808

dylando808 Well-Known Member

anyone wanna go into a bit more detail? i'm also curious about this too. i've been using ATK. by the looks of it there are a lot of apps running in the background of my phone that i don't want, why shouldn't i be using ATK? just wondering :)

5. chief113

chief113 Well-Known Member

You don't need it. You do need Juice Defender though.

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Task killers can cause increased resource drain by stopping services needed for background functions of the device. Those services will attempt to restart, be stopped by the TK, start again, etc ad infinitum.

They also can cause sync loops in apps which are configured to autosync, such as Facebook, Weather, Gmail, etc, for similar reasons that the services are affected as described above, only worse, because as more than one syncing app attempts to grab data, they can overlap because the TK has interrupted the natural cycle, causing the app or widget to try to sync at an instant when another one (or two) is.

They were not even needed in early Android OSs because there is a simple menu path to each app/widget which can be used by a responsible device owner to kill services, clear cache and data if needed, etc.

Task killers are a bit like a trusted burglar alarm installer who has too much information about your valuables and how to get to them. ;)

dylando808 likes this.
  7. Disable service and don't waste time with task killer unless it does not response due to bug.

8. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast

Task killers aren't needed.

9. That "depends" but for normal task its not needed but under few conditions it is "must" as I stated before. Bottom line is if you don't know what you are doing then don't do it.

10. naviwilliams

naviwilliams Android Enthusiast

I deleted the one I had, and yet still my battery seems to hold up...

Now bear in mind, I'm the type of person that wants a device to work correctly, out of the box. I hate having to buy\install applications to 'help' a device work correctly. I've already spent a fortune on the bloody thing...

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

+1

All that should be needed is a bit of maintenance at regular intervals, in a device such as Androids, just as with any other computer.

12. Zonker1

Zonker1 Well-Known Member

What "bit of maintenance" do you recommend?

13. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

I had ATK for a week.

I uninstalled it and the phone seems to work a little better, not sure if its just a placebo affect.

Didnt really take a note on battery life

14. dylando808

dylando808 Well-Known Member

ooh i get it now. thanks for explaining. :) uninstalling ATK as i'm typing this. :D