• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

task killer question

da man

May 11, 2010
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer.

I like using task killers, but when I kill too many apps at the same time sense crashes or something and has to reload. I'm not doing anything stupid like kill system processes that keep sense running (I don't think), but if I for instance kill internet, gmail, and people at the same time sense has to reload. Any advice would be nice, or a point in the right direction to find advice.

Thanks in advance

There are so many threads on this in here. I'm sure OTD will chime in soon. Many people will advise against using a task killer. Android does a pretty good job of killing apps. Even if they show up as being open, android doesn't devote resources to them unless they are currently being used.
My sister had one set up on her EVO and it was causing it to reboot and do all kinds of bad things. She stopped using it, and the problems stopped (she also did a factory reset).
I don't use one but did when I first got my phone as recommended by Verizon. I quit using it after reading OTD's comments on them. My phone actually performs better without it.
I'm rooted now and am testing out an auto killer. According to the developer, it functions differently than a task killer by altering the way android handles task killing. So far it has kept more RAM free, and it rarely kills something I need to stay running.
So the moral of the story: there's a lot of debate on whether you need to use a task killer or whether it actually decreases the performance of the phone. You seem to be experiencing some of the negative effects of using one, so why not try not using it and see how your phone performs.

Upvote 0
the people app is one of HTC's apps that is tied into sense. If it was in the process of doing something with the people app when you killed it that could cause sense to crash and restart. I tend to not kill htc apps. internet and gmail are fine but stay away from anything with com.htc.

my personal opinion on the whole task killer thing...

The internal android process manager is not tweaked properly for the eris. It's no where near aggressive enough. It's much better in 2.1 then it was in 1.5 though.

If you root the eris there is an application that allows you to adjust the internal memory manager and with that you can truly get rid of task managers.

Apps like pandora have crashed so hard on me that the only way to really kill it was with a task manager. The built in 2.1 didn't even show pandroa when it was crashed.

I now use xscope as my browser so I don't have to worry about the "internet" app anymore as well.

I'll post here that I have written my own task manager app so I'm a bit biased, I hated the lag on my eris enough to write my own. http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com

Upvote 0
That's gutsy, xx_bishop_xx, posting that thing again. ;) I was here for that thread's first go 'round and know how much of that was "cleaned" to keep it relevant and from falling off the rails completely. (Which it continued to do with regularity anyhow.)

This is one of those issues where both sides have their evidence and reasons and for whatever reason on this board, they are particularly contentious with one another. It's really a matter of preference. Personally, I really don't mind the 2 or 3 second wait while I let the phone do what it does. (Sometimes.) Upgrading isn't an option as the additional speed/per $ spent ratio is still too low for me to justify it. Once I learned how to be patient with my Eris and let it do it's thing, and stopped using a Task Killer, I found the overall experience to more smooth.

I'm not rooted however, (leak v3,) and the situation could very well be different for that particular set of users.

Upvote 0
That's gutsy, xx_bishop_xx, posting that thing again. ;) I was here for that thread's first go 'round and know how much of that was "cleaned" to keep it relevant and from falling off the rails completely. (Which it continued to do with regularity anyhow.)

This is one of those issues where both sides have their evidence and reasons and for whatever reason on this board, they are particularly contentious with one another. It's really a matter of preference. Personally, I really don't mind the 2 or 3 second wait while I let the phone do what it does. (Sometimes.) Upgrading isn't an option as the additional speed/per $ spent ratio is still too low for me to justify it. Once I learned how to be patient with my Eris and let it do it's thing, and stopped using a Task Killer, I found the overall experience to more smooth.

I'm not rooted however, (leak v3,) and the situation could very well be different for that particular set of users.

Yeah, you know me. I'm stupid that way (among other ways). I did stress not to post in that thread....:D

Upvote 0
So, as you can see from the multiple posts so far, Task Killers seem to be useful in certain circumstances and for a small subset of Eris users. So far, I've seemed to find more people that are satisfied without one, willing to do some occasional maintenance, and happy with how their phone handles juggling their specific use preferences.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones