• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task killer

rafiki121

Nov 1, 2010
Hey guys my lil bro has a samsung epic and it has a built in task killer. I was wondering do i need one for my htc evo. If i search google and then go back to home page google is still running in the background right? i saw somewhere that the astro file manager has a built in task killer
thanks

Hey guys my lil bro has a samsung epic and it has a built in task killer. I was wondering do i need one for my htc evo. If i search google and then go back to home page google is still running in the background right? i saw somewhere that the astro file manager has a built in task killer
thanks

Welcome to the forum.

You do not need a task killer.
If you search, you'll find a lot of information here about task killers.
But long story short, your phones os is designed to manage it's own memory.
Killing tasks is only going to cause them to start back up, using up more resources than just leaving them alone.

Upvote 0
I shall reiterate the lack of need for real killers. There are very few instances where they are useful, but having one around is jit a bad thing...just don't go around killing apps solely to free up resources.

Regarding batteries, I got a couple of cheap batteries that seem to work just fine in my phone. Check reviews and adhere to the general rule of thumb that if thet are cheap, they are probably crap. YMMV.

Upvote 0
Sry about the question again for the task killer. Now the reason i was asking that wasnt to free memory but to stop useless things running in the background that will use up my battery life. So when i turn on music and then go home music app is opened but will that be eating up my battery having it opened even if im not playing it. cause when i had atk it showed it being open

Upvote 0
Sry about the question again for the task killer. Now the reason i was asking that wasnt to free memory but to stop useless things running in the background that will use up my battery life. So when i turn on music and then go home music app is opened but will that be eating up my battery having it opened even if im not playing it. cause when i had atk it showed it being open

The consensus is that android is keeping those apps in an idle state until you call on them again. For the most part they will use very minimal battery though you will occassionally find a rouge app. Handle that issue when it occurs. Check into apps like system panle...juice plotted...spare parts. All in the market. Find and read the task killers why you shouldn't use them thread.
Several of us have found task killers do more harm than good and some use them with no reported issues. The main issue I have run into is improperly set up task killers. If set up wrong they can kill needed background processes and apps needed to run properly.

Upvote 0

For your reading pleasure.......This should help you to clear up why you don't want to use one.

This has been discussed to the end of the earth!!! If you don't want apps running then root your phone and remove them. If they are third party apps then un-install them. But read the articles in that link and then decide but remember this is not windows.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones