1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Task killers and Antivirus apps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by tigrr07, Feb 24, 2010.

1. tigrr07

tigrr07 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2009
    I've been reading a lot about the task killer and AV apps here, but I am wondering if...

1 - are TK apps really nessessary? Does it help with battery life and why would you want to kill an app? I've read somewhere that TK apps are not nesscessary b/c android is a linux system.

2 - Can we get viruses on our phones? Are the Free AV apps we get here in Canada, since we cannot buy apps, good? Do they really protect our phones?

I have a HTC Magic w/Rogers.

Thanks in advance for your tips and opinions.

Advertisement

2. thepinkc

thepinkc Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    New York, NY
    I think Task Killers are a personal preference. I haven't noticed any noticeable change in battery life when I was using it religiously to shut down applications and when I don't use it. Some people like the feeling that nothing's running. Android does shut down applications after a period of time if they need the memory for something else.

As with antivirus, I haven't done enough research to have an opinion about it, so I will wait to see what everyone else says.

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    South Florida
    I also have gone with and without task killers. I find my system is more stable without them and many phantom problems have resolved by letting the Android operating system juggle it's own tasks. As for anti-virus programs, at this point I have done fine without them. I am sure as the Android user base increases, threats will increase, I will have to take a second look. But for now, my system is task killer and anti-virus free and running great.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
  5. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    I use Advanced Task Manager because it allows me to uninstall stuff easier than normally.

6. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

Really?

Easier than Market--> My Downloads--> select app --> Uninstall

7. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Really.
    Top curtain, ATM, click and hold on the name of app, choose uninstall.

8. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I prefer AndroidMate for that. File explorer and scans your SD card for .apk for easy installations, also lets you uninstall and kill running processes too.