• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Task Killers and FroYo

It's funny how many people come on to point to the "theoretical reality" that task killers are not needed compared to how many people use them and point to the "anecdotal reality" that they are a great thing. I'm guessing that "actual reality" is somewhere in between: they're useful if you've got battery-hogging services running, but not everyone that uses them really needs them.

Upvote 0
Auto Memory Manager. It works amazingly well with Froyo.

Basically, it lets you adjust the thresholds at which android starts killing background applications. That way you can specify the amount of free memory available, and not have any phone lag. The best part is that you set it once, and then forget about it.

I've found that this is a far more effective memory management tool than any ATK.

Upvote 0
I've been Force Closing apps manually. Especially FaceBook Apps are battery eaters (like dementor creature in Harry Potter). Its annoying to do every other hour (going Settings -> Application -> Running -> Selecting Application -> Force Close one by one) but it keeps battery longer running. So yeah, hate doing it routinely but for the Love of FROYO...

Upvote 0
I wanted to input my .02 so much I went and registered just to do so.

When I had my Eris I consistently used ATK, never noticed a difference in battery life but I did notice a difference in speed. Now that I got my Incredible the ATK was draining my battery in ~6 hours. I uninstalled and now it lasts 2 days with no ATK. I assumed it was due to Froyo because my eris had no issues and the Incredible had 2.2 but I read up on it a bit and the articles make sense as to why ATK wouldn't save battery life. I also understand why it would make sense to think that it does save battery life but either way I think if you have a phone with little RAM/ROM than you may benefit as far as speed goes but as far as my Incredible, I haven't noticed any lag in speed and I'm not using ATK. Frankly I found the ATK pointless on Froyo anyway since the apps kept popping back up.

P.S. Most articles state that using ATK may actually interrupt crucial elements of the Android operating system.

Lastly - I actually just downloaded the ATK Froyo Beta today and will keep it just because it's nice when an app gets stuck in a query or if the browser is stuck loading a page and won't stop. I won't be using it to kill apps willy nilly though.

Upvote 0
I struggle mightily and fail to understand why applications I don't even use not only auto start but wind up having multiple instances running at any given time. As an IT person I fail to understand how this is acceptable. To start the day with a full charge yet have to charge my battery before end of day is just wrong.

So, is there a way to efficiently control app auto start? It seems to me THAT is the better question vs app killing.

Thanks in advance for all input.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones